• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

KISS hunting bow

RedOak

I’ve been slowly refining my bows to increase lethality. Saddle hunters by their very nature seem to be an independent thinking bunch. I’m curious what others on this site are using as their go to hunting rigs. Mine have got more simple over the years. @Nutterbuster “Everyman bow” rig video is very much in line with the direction I’ve gone. I’ve ditched the stabilizer and the wrist sling. I’m currently debating swapping the drop away rest on my frontline bow for another whisker biscuit like on my backup. I’m also playing with the idea of removing two of my three fixed pins on my Spot Hogg Grinder sight. I already did this on my backup bow and it has greatly helped my shooting. I have no business shooting a deer with a bow at distances beyond 40 yards as is and only having the single fixed pin at roughly 27 yards allows me to shoot 0-35 with no holdover and still keep my arrows in an 8” kill zone.

I run a basic bow, whisker biscuit, single pin slider almost always set at 25, no grip, no stab, no wrist strap, and I take my quiver off after the walk in. If I could find a no cost way to leave it on my pack I would.

My bow hunting packs (Kuiu Venture 2300, and Hill People Gear Tarahumara) both have water bottle holders on the side. I just stick the quiver upside down in one of the pouches after I’m at hunting height.

This year i shot a single fixed pin at 26 yards, no peep, no wrist sling and a bodoodle rest. Hopefully next year will be a single string bow. I have really been enjoying the simplicity.

This year i shot a single fixed pin at 26 yards, no peep, no wrist sling and a bodoodle rest. Hopefully next year will be a single string bow. I have really been enjoying the simplicity.
How did you feel about removing the peep? I’ve been strongly considering it after watching @Nutterbuster video. Most, if not all of my shots seem to come with limited light. I think keeping my shots in the 0-35 yard range with a single pin and no peep might be the ticket. I also have a strong desire to get into traditional bow hunting and finally inherited an old Bear recurve. I got arrows and a string for it. Going to be a LONG time before I can shoot at an animal with it however lol

I should add that for now, I’m struggling enough with a new baby to just locate mature bucks let alone make shooting them with a bow any harder. That may be an endeavor for when I’m retired!

I should add that for now, I’m struggling enough with a new baby to just locate mature bucks let alone make shooting them with a bow any harder. That may be an endeavor for when I’m retired!

What I discovered when I went back to my recurve is that even shooting the little bucks is as rewarding as shooting the mature ones.

I never take my quiver off. I never understood why people do. I’ve missed the first shot and was able to get a second for the kill. I took it off a couple years ago and missed a giant buck. I couldn’t reach my quiver and by the time I got re loaded he was walking away.

I still have a fully setup Hoyt carbon and I only took it out once in the last two seasons. I have grown to enjoy the pure simple of the trad bow. Hunting with the single string has made me a lot happier

How did you feel about removing the peep? I’ve been strongly considering it after watching @Nutterbuster video. Most, if not all of my shots seem to come with limited light. I think keeping my shots in the 0-35 yard range with a single pin and no peep might be the ticket. I also have a strong desire to get into traditional bow hunting and finally inherited an old Bear recurve. I got arrows and a string for it. Going to be a LONG time before I can shoot at an animal with it however lol
I don't really notice any difference on flat ground. When there is a change in elevation I have noticed it can make a difference at medium ranges but not so much at the distance i ever take a shot at an animal.

Thinking of going to a single pin IQ sight. And doing away with my prep. I really have a hard time with my peep now in lowlight conditions.
Any thoughts??? Like the idea here of keeping it simple

I don't really notice any difference on flat ground. When there is a change in elevation I have noticed it can make a difference at medium ranges but not so much at the distance i ever take a shot at an animal.
When you say medium ranges, what ranges specifically are you talking about?

I still have a fully setup Hoyt carbon and I only took it out once in the last two seasons. I have grown to enjoy the pure simple of the trad bow. Hunting with the single string has made me a lot happier
I can certainly see the thought process behind that. I think that’s the real allure for me. Certainly not increased lethality lol. What distances are you willing to shoot and animal at and are there any special considerations shooting from a saddle with a trad bow?

Thinking of going to a single pin IQ sight. And doing away with my prep. I really have a hard time with my peep now in lowlight conditions.
Any thoughts??? Like the idea here of keeping it simple
I don’t know much about the IQ sight myself. Is the idea that the sight itself shows alignment thus eliminating the need for a peep?

When you say medium ranges, what ranges specifically are you talking about?
For me, I would say usually about 25 yards. Obviously the better your form the further you could stretch that out, but i know i don't keep my form exactly the same when shooting up or down and under pressure.

The only way I would remove my peep is if I added a kisser and a high vis string nock tied on at the peep location for reference.

I can certainly see the thought process behind that. I think that’s the real allure for me. Certainly not increased lethality lol. What distances are you willing to shoot and animal at and are there any special considerations shooting from a saddle with a trad bow?
For me I prefer to keep shots close. I’ve always said 20-25 and under but in all honestly it’s more of a feel thing for me. Hard to describe but if a shot feels good I’ll take it. But I have also had chip shots at 10 yards not feel quite right and passed the shot. I’ve killed them from 8 yards to 28 yards. A trad bow in the saddle is actually pretty easy not much difference just practice and make sure you’re coming to full draw. For reference I run a kestrel and ROS, very easy to shoot from.

I hunted with a Kisser button for years.The kisser and a little dental floss tied in to touch the tip of your nose to as a reference makes for a very very accurate low light set up.You can be more than accurate enough with this set up at hunting ranges You dont have to compromise.

Back