• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Kite Modifications

Cory T

Has anyone done any mods to their kite? I absolutely hated the leg buckles. So I ordered the ITG G hooks and put those on. I thought I was ok with the waist buckle because I put a fixed 1in webbing bridge on and have to step through it anyway but when I loosen the belt once tethered in it rattles and makes noise. So I came across a military hip belt that I used on t*** s***** which had a pretty nice dual adjustable buckle so I replaced that as well. Now I believe i have it just the way I want it. Lost a few ounces and now its super quiet. What is the weight of a stock kite? I forgot to weigh mine before mods. Mine currently weighs 1lb 12oz20181102_162647.jpg

Wasnt the whole point of that buckle to be weight bearing? If you dont care, good deal on the changes.

I don't believe the leg buckles needed to be load bearing. I keep the waist buckle loose when i'm tied in. I don't believe the waist buckle will see much of a load. I feel confident and comfortable with the mods.

Leg buckles need to be cut off - jigsaw or hacksaw works fine, go slow don't work your webbing.

Waist buckle you just have to cut the fold over on the end of the belt webbing.

Wasnt the whole point of that buckle to be weight bearing? If you dont care, good deal on the changes.

The whole point is so that NT doesn't get sued.

Have you considered why treestand manufacturers continue to sell their stands with death traps for harnesses? Not for your safety. It's to lessen their exposure to being sued if you're hurt falling. Once you've fallen, who cares if you die - that's not on them.

If you end up in a scenario where those buckles need to hold a few thousand pounds, you're in quite a pickle. I have spent hours trying to create a scenario where a waist belt and leg straps would need to hold more than double my weight spread across them. The odds I fall far enough to generate that force, in a manner that puts the load on ONLY the leg and waist straps, are somewhere between winning the powerball and finding my soulmate...

The waist buckle looks like the one that comes on a Molle hip belt. The one that’s on my treestand wore out and quit working after a few seasons. If you’re going to stay with that style you might consider having an extra laying around just in case.

@George Clark and my kite mods (George's creation)..Itw cobra waist buckle, double amsteal bridge with webbing slid over top. I call it the "Gsteel mod" and we don't run leg loops. Very light weight saddle.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20181220-093217.jpg
    Screenshot_20181220-093217.jpg
    602.9 KB · Views: 94
Im fine with the waist buckle on the Kite..

Really tempted to upgrade to those G hooks. Just not sure about the permanancy of it. Do they come loose at all while hiking?

Really tempted to upgrade to those G hooks. Just not sure about the permanancy of it. Do they come loose at all while hiking?

I put castration bands on the loops that the g hooks hook on to. When I clip the g hook in, I roll the band and it tightens the loop up against the arm of the hook. Similar to the way people use them to tighten the loop on their tether to prevent slide. Works great.

I haven't had any problems with them coming unhooked.

Back