• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Knaider/swaider for single sticking?

trailblazer75

I single sticked all last year and was thinking about doing a mini stick today. But I have a knaider and swaider and considered a simple solution, instead of a tangled up double aider.
You hang your stick and then girth hitch an Amsteel continuous loop on your step. Swaider, knaider, step, stand, set tether and hang. Wash, rinse repeat. Anyone tried it or am I gonna be the crash test dummy?
What I plan on is like a 10 inch stick with muddy standoffs and a muddy double step with an artisan or OOAL platform on top. Anyone got one of those laying around they don’t want?

I tried it on a shikar mini. It worked pretty good in the grooves of shikar steps. I didn’t try the amsteel loops though. Ended up mounting my scout to the bottom and decided to just do a 1 step aider out if WE rope.

I tried it on a shikar mini. It worked pretty good in the grooves of shikar steps. I didn’t try the amsteel loops though. Ended up mounting my scout to the bottom and decided to just do a 1 step aider out if WE rope.
I’ve got a single step aider of tubular webbing on my designated single sticking stick now. But I’d like to extend my climbing height at each move.

I used knaider/swaider with my helium’s using 1/8 amsteel loops girth hitched thru the bottom steps. My sticks are cut down to 22”. It worked great and I had no problems hooking to the amsteel loops. The loops kind of take the shape of the hook on the knaider. I plan on trying this one sticking this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I used knaider/swaider with my helium’s using 1/8 amsteel loops girth hitched thru the bottom steps. My sticks are cut down to 22”. It worked great and I had no problems hooking to the amsteel loops. The loops kind of take the shape of the hook on the knaider. I plan on trying this one sticking this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That’s sorta what I assumed it would do, conforming to the hook.

@Aaronpaul14 could you post up a bunch of pics of your climbing rig? The shikar mini with the scout?
I just bought a mini and a scout. Could you put the scout on top? If not, why not? I’m basically gonna just replicate your setup but use the knaider/swaider instead of the aider.

@Aaronpaul14 could you post up a bunch of pics of your climbing rig? The shikar mini with the scout?
I just bought a mini and a scout. Could you put the scout on top? If not, why not? I’m basically gonna just replicate your setup but use the knaider/swaider instead of the aider.

Sure thing! I will get some in a little bit. I tried both on top and bottom. Top was a little more solid but not too noticeable. I went with the bottom mainly for the ability to add the doublestep up top and to use an ocb with squirrel steps by the cam cleat to lock the stick in at height. I can utilize the top step when making awkward shots for more support too.

I tried the K/S and it worked pretty good. I haven’t completely settled on not using it.

4b670174789357ccda3ad32bb9aa083f.jpg

18f1bad64dc1ba5b2308170fc4b74d50.jpg

ebd9374a453b95ad5b509a8148f1b231.jpg

d1e941c1e9c14916b866ca18d62e206d.jpg

Here you go [mention]trailblazer75 [/mention] I can take some more if there are some specific pics wanted.

I also added fixed standoffs to it instead of the rotating with the knob.

With this aider I take my left foot and push up and out on the tree and then put my right foot into the aider. So it kind of works for the height as about a 1.5 step aider.

Good thinking running that OCB over the stick for support. I’ve got 4 ameristeps on an OCB and never thought of that, I was just gonna put the scout on top and the OCB right above the standoff on the tree.

Good thinking running that OCB over the stick for support. I’ve got 4 ameristeps on an OCB and never thought of that, I was just gonna put the scout on top and the OCB right above the standoff on the tree.

Yeah that thing is rock solid with the ocb. Doesn’t move at all!

When I tried K/S I used the slots to the left and right of the V. I added some vet tape to quiet it down a bit too. Nice thing with that vs WE step if it does slide it doesn’t go very far.

Do you one stick with the scout mini? If so, how do you incorporate the OCB buckle in that setup?
So he’s one sticking all the way up and then setting his stick as his platform and running the OCB at hunting height to lock the stick to the tree and add squirrel steps.

Yep the OCB is only at hunting height to add a couple squirrel step to the set up. Just happen to help lock it in place at the same time

So he’s one sticking all the way up and then setting his stick as his platform and running the OCB at hunting height to lock the stick to the tree and add squirrel steps.
Yep the OCB is only at hunting height to add a couple squirrel step to the set up. Just happen to help lock it in place at the same time

that’s ingenious...I will do that too

Back