• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Knaider swaider with WE steps and platform

BayouBeauxhunter

For those using knaider swaider with WE steps, how are y’all setting your platform? Do you set it even with top step and then climb in? Do you cam it over while weight is in knaider or do you have to stand up on last step and cam it over with foot?

This is a very good question and it is also a problem that I had this year too. What I do is set my top step at knaider height and climb up on it. By then set my teather and with myself still having my lineman belt on I have both the tether and alignment belt attached at this time. I loosen my tether so that I can drop down a little bit and I set my platform 90° to the left or the right about 1 foot above the step that I am standing on. Important!!!!!! You have to make sure that it is under or lower than your lineman belt otherwise you will get caught in that. Don't ask how I know that particular fact. Then I just set up as usual.

So short list is 1 foot above TOP step that is at knaider height.

I don't use a swaider because I am not comfortable with it.

sorry I'm typing this with voice commands on the phone so it probably didn't come out as eloquently as I would prefer.
ff9bd3d9920ab3d22cc652659101ae18.jpg

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Are you referring to the predator platform?
Yes. With my full length steps I find it easiest to set the platform from bottom step of my top stick about chest height (better leverage to get the strap tight), climb up to middle step and cam it over by hand, then climb up to top step and up on platform. With the wild edge steps and knaider swaider combo, I’m having a hard time picturing what the easiest way to set the platform would be. I have the gen 1 platform so I want to see if camming it over by foot is necessary with this method or are people able to cam it over by hand.

I know exactly what you mean about linesman's belt placement and setting a platform...:weary:

I use the knaider/ swaider, so I'm able to get about 5' between steps. When I get to the last step I want to put on, I simply put my gen 1 w/ original strap at about thigh height. I set the stand and cam it over by hand. I set my tether as high as I can reach, hook into my bridge, which I use to help pull myself up. I'm not looking for maximum distance from my last step to the platform.

As I'm typing this I'm thinking I want to set my tether before I start setting the stand. I can pull myself closer to the tree with my linesman, get tethered off and then just take the lines man off before I set the platform. No linesman in the way and I can set my tether higher. I'll still have to move my tether up into its final position once I'm on the platform.

I set my platform (slomo scooter platform or stepp platform w/ plywood) slightly higher than the step I have my knaider on and set another step above for a hand hold to pull myself up. I took an old screw in bow hanger and modified it to work with a stepp so use this top stepp with the hanger. Involves an extra stepp but like the security of using it as a hand hold.

Alright, I just got in from trying this out back. That's going to be the ticket for me. the tether length that worked for me was long enough to kneel on the tree and hold the platform with your knees as you get it strapped to the tree. Then just pull yourself up. You have to remember to move the tether down to waist height before you get off the platform so you can step down on the step, and still be able to reach your tether.

Alright, I just got in from trying this out back. That's going to be the ticket for me. the tether length that worked for me was long enough to kneel on the tree and hold the platform with your knees as you get it strapped to the tree. Then just pull yourself up. You have to remember to move the tether down to waist height before you get off the platform so you can step down on the step, and still be able to reach your tether.
Thanks I’m going to try this from ground level see how it goes.

Back