• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Knaider/swaider without the need for sticks or steps

Yimmyb60

While climbing this season I had a thought. Has anyone tried replacing the WE steps/ sticks with a girth hitched amsteel dogbone, continuos loop or whoopie sling? You would probably need a separate one for each knaider and swaider move so if you use 4 steps/sticks, you need 8 amsteel loops. Or you could possibly reuse the previous one when transferring from swaider to knaider. I need to make a couple 8ft dogbones. But that should get you up any size tree. I don't care about the weight of the steps I use but it would allow me to pack more warm clothes in the late season by not having the WE pack in my bag.

Just 2TC and eliminate the knaider/swaider. If you must use the knaider/swaider use girth hitched daisy chained amsteel so the multiple loops allow for a variety ot step heights. You'd only need one and move up like you're one sticking. I have a feeling its going to be hard to keep the loops open for the knee hook.

Last edited:
The daisy chain would work as well. I am also looking at T2C but from the complaints I see posted I think a lot of people find it unstable and complain of small movements. This should allow longer or shorter movements and more stability.

having used the knaider/swaider and WE step combo and 2TC, I prefer 2TC. Either one of these climbing methods present stability problems when ever you take too big a movement, but I find it easier to adjust my step height while 2TC because it's faster to move the tether a couple inches than it is to reset a step that you misplaced.

That makes sense. I have not tried T2C or the K/S without steps yet, but will try both as soon as I get some amsteel. This is all just thought out on my head. Originally I was thinking of the amstsel loop as a self rescue or an extra step to make it to my platform. The closest method I have seen would be weldabeast K/S method.

Back