• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Knee pad question

tedk

Good morning guys . . . new to saddle hunting and loving it . . . and all the knowledge on this site - thanks to all of you!

I'm turning my focus to knee pads. I've been using a foam 'seat cushion' that I've had lying around for years. It works. I'm thinking about knee pads. I see that a lot of folks are using "Arc'teryx Knee Cap Pads" or similar pads. I thought about picking up a set, but have a quick question as I know you all are noise obsessed like me. Doesn't that hard cap create a lot of noise against the tree? Curious if this is a problem for you? Are you just careful or is it maybe not as noisy as I am envisioning?

As always . . . thanks for sharing your experience. Learning so much from you guys.

Those knee pads were too pricey for me but I do have plastic shell knee pads and what I did for noise and also to eliminate the glare from the sun was simply cover the plastic with camo duct tape or gorilla tape. Works great for me and as the bark roughs up the tape it even provide grip if I need to hold my knee on the tree at a weird angle for a shot.

Duct tape fixes everything

Ha . . . yes it does. Thanks. Good idea.

Any chance you have a recommendation for your cheaper pair that works for you . . . I'm not opposed to saving a buck :)

Those look great and a nice price. Just ordered a set. Thanks for the referring them to me.

Ha . . . yes it does. Thanks. Good idea.

Any chance you have a recommendation for your cheaper pair that works for you . . . I'm not opposed to saving a buck :)

These are what I bought. But I only paid $11 a few months ago and now they are $20. I like them bc there is no Velcro. They do the job but they are not great.

Those look weird, knee goes on top or the bottom? Have you used them? The price is great! I just don’t understand exactly how you would wear them.

There are two removable caps.... 1 is hard and 1 is soft. Picture looks funny cause they have the caps situated funny

Do you use them? Are they good?
I was using a seat cushion strapped around the tree but picked up the Trophyline kneepads recently. Used them for the first hunt and found myself sitting more than I usually do - mostly a leaner. Seemed very comfortable but don't have anything to compare them to other than the seat cushion.

I used these yesterday and they worked great. I figured I take off my sneakers after driving to slip on my boots so slipping on knee pads would be just as easy at this point. These have no fasteners to pop off. You can't beat the price if only for a backup.

Back