• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Knee pads vs Kneeling pad?

Publiclandowner

SH Member
This year will be my first in a saddle and I’ve been debating knee pads vs kneeling pad. It seems like knee pads are the more popular choice. Does anyone toss a kneeling pad in their pack and let the pack hang low enough that you can put your knees into your pack/pad?

Every knee pad I’ve ever worn for whatever reason seems to eventually aggravate the back of my knee during extended use, and when I am in the woods I’m there an hour before light and we’ll after dark most hunts. TIA

Yes, some people use their packs, some people use modified foam seat cushions (I think mossy oak sells a cheap one) but they are the minority, the majority of us use knee pads because they are better at all angles (and I've used them a bit mid-climb here and there as well) so knee pads are the more popular option. There's also a smaller minority that doesn't use anything, and apparently has no feeling in their knees(or leans all times instead of sitting) and call us all sissies.

I like my latitude knee pads, there's a cheaper version available apparently but I can't vouch that they are identical. Straps are a good mix of stretchy enough to stay on but not constrict/irritate the back of my knees. Trophyline loosened up too much for me and either fell down when walking or had the same behind the knee issues you're alluding to. Haven't tried tethrd because tethrd sucks.

I tried a pad at first and didn’t like it. Started using the knee pads I bought to do my click together floor and I love them. I wear them in and out and it’s surprising how often I find myself dropping to my knees when walking in or out midday because I see a deer.

Try having a foam seat pad tied to your platform, then just install at height. I really don't like the movement of knee pads and use a thermaseat pad against the tree.

I know several guys who use pads and like it
Me myself try a pad but it leaked lmao jk
No man the pad just diddnt work out for me.
I had to glue several seat pads together to make it thick enough
so i went to kneepads and never looked back.
here is a link to a decent pair to use.
Hang and bang knee pads
Here is a pad thats pretty thick
Knee pad
If you get the knee pad i would get a couple and then like i said earlier glue them together.
try both so you know what will work for you
Its really a personal preference

I started with a kneeling pad but had issues with it being wet and holding water if it was raining, i dropped it all the time, and it flattened eventually. So, I went to knee pads, and they work so much better.

Are you ultralight long distance, covering ground in the back country hunting or just hunting whitetail on the back 40.because kneepads only Serve one purpose.no not that.a sitting pad servs many hunting styles like turkey ,or just resting on a wet mossy stump after hours of hiking .lone wolf seat pad is nice.

Last edited:
Are you ultralight long distance, covering ground in the back country hunting or just hunting whitetail on the back 40.because kneepads only Serve one purpose.no not that.a sitting pad servs many hunting styles like turkey ,or just resting on a wet mossy stump after hours of hiking .lone wolf seat pad is nice.
Valid point, most of my hunts are approx a mile in to a tree hunting whitetails.

Tried the kneeling pad idea when I first started saddle hunting. Second hunt got aggravated trying to get the thing situated they way I wanted it. Took it off the tree and dropped it on purpose. Of course it caught air and sailed out away from the tree and I was like well that was stupid. Never carried it back in the woods. Switched to using my sitka mountain pants with built in knee pads and never looked back. If I didnt have them I would be using the EWO knee pads most likely.

Well, I forgot to mention I have a special shaped knee pad.....its a thick seat pad and a back pad put together with a carbon fiber panel between them so I have a flat surface for my knees.

I've always used knee pads because I often put my knees against the tree while climbing. Also, I might need to rotate to a part of the tree where the kneeling pad is missing. Lastly, it seems the knee pads would take up less pack space.

Back