• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Knee pads

Weldabeast

SH Member
May 23, 2019
Northeast Florida
I did search and looked a little but didn't really see what i was looking for. My question is what style knee pads most of you guys prefer.....hard plastic caps or the soft squishy ones. I own both that i have used over the years during construction projects but never though I'd be using knee pads during hunting. Seems like the hard caps may be noisy? Which style works best for this application?

Allegheny Tom

SH Member
Feb 4, 2018
Western Pennsylvania
I think the general consensus here is the Arcteryx are the best but they are a little pricey. When I 1st started putting all my rig together, I struggled with pulling the pin on the Arcs. I'd already spent a bunch of money on my Kestrel, two Ropeman 1, and other stuff. I wasted a lot of time shopping for cheaper knee pads and I finally decided "what's an extra $20 or so?" I bought them and I'm not regretting it for 1 second.

They do have a hard cap, but they have a kinda tacky coating on them that makes them quiet and sticky against the tree. The thing I like best about them is they are very easy to put on/off. I wear them as soon as I'm leaving the vehicle and, not only do I not realize they are on, they also come in handy for the walk. I occasionally need to get on a knee to squirm under and thru brush. Dead ash trees are creating roadblocks everywhere around here. What was a clear access route yesterday can have a tangle of ash (and other crap the bring down) exactly where I need to walk. Sometimes crawling in the only way thru. Knee pads help tremendously, even if only to keep you pants dry when I kneel. Keeling on snow or wet leaves without pads is gonna make your insulation less effective. And have you ever kneeled on a hawthorn branch or multi flora rose? Get pads that you can walk in and use them.

And then there is the occasional close encounter with deer while walking. You know, you are walking along, and here comes some deer heading your way. Nowhere to hide, right? At least get on your knees and there's a lot less chance of being busted.
IMO, kneepads must be easy to put on and off, and be comfortable to walk in. Arcs fit the bill 100%.

Weldabeast

SH Member
May 23, 2019
Northeast Florida
I'll have mine in my pack while walking. I'm in hip waders 99% of the time. Switch over to crocs once I'm at or in the tree. I'll check it the ones you mentioned. Thanks

Feb 10, 2019
Western New York
AOL
jzuch75@aol.com
TWITTER
jzuch75
Looking for input on everyone's reason for using knee pads, rather than just strapping a regular old foam seat cushion to the tree. My concern is with the potential for noise generated at the moment of truth when a knee is anchored against the tree to leverage & position for the shot. Seems like a configuration that's attached to the tree at the start of my hunt (in the dark) is less likely to make any noise at the most critical of moments.

Weldabeast

SH Member
May 23, 2019
Northeast Florida
If you rotate around a larger diameter tree for a shot you'll run out of seat cushion. I use my knee as an anchor when shooting

Weldabeast

SH Member
May 23, 2019
Northeast Florida
I have been trying some different style knees pads.... Never did order the ones mentioned above....The style i found to be the most comfortable and quietest are the simple squishy foam ones. I replaced the velcro closures with some straps with plastic buckles. Very light weight, easy packing, easy on and off, and best of all they're affordable....being able to buy them locally is a plus to me also