• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Knee saver

lawrence

SH Member
SO the last 2-3 years i have been struggling with knee pain when saddle hunting. So some guys gave me an idea on how to improve my comfort. It took some pvc, a pool noodle, a string and some hockey tap. Just 2 sittings but so much better.

1696285243058.png1696285361312.png1696285407334.png 1696285407334.png

U attach to the tree trunk? I can't see the string going around the tree in the pic?
I started out using a strap around the tree, then I just started hanging it from the tail of my hys strap, which makes the height easily adjustable. Man it’s awesome, your knees sink into the center and it dams up around the outside keeping your knees from trying to go to the sides of the tree.

You may be onto something really cool here!

Forgive the crude phone drawing below, but a piece of “pvc/plastic” material could be heated and formed like the blue (top view only in this pic) with a strap/rope (red) around the tree (brown) to hold it in place. The piece should be ~6-8” top to bottom and cushions glued where your knees fit and eliminate knee pads altogether.

I may cut a large piece of pvc pipe in half and heat it with a heat gun and attempt a prototype. May be junk, but with trying and should provide more surface area to spread out the load more than your pvc pipe??

Also, you can add eyes to the pic and it will look like a hunter wearing a hoodie…

472124c49658fdfde9eea1b11ee71fbc.jpg

is there a non-heat version? my knees are typically hot enough - we're usually ~50-70F most of the season.
Don’t know. I hunted with it all last season some days were up to 80 and I never noticed it being hot. Price of entry is right…$10 bucks, so the risk is about as low as it gets.

I thought about doing that, but the foam beads inside mine made noise.

Forgive the crude phone drawing below, but a piece of “pvc/plastic” material could be heated and formed like the blue (top view only in this pic) with a strap/rope (red) around the tree (brown) to hold it in place. The piece should be ~6-8” top to bottom and cushions glued where your knees fit and eliminate knee pads altogether.

I may cut a large piece of pvc pipe in half and heat it with a heat gun and attempt a prototype. May be junk, but with trying and should provide more surface area to spread out the load more than your pvc pipe??

Also, you can add eyes to the pic and it will look like a hunter wearing a hoodie…

I always thought an "arm blaster" used for doing curls at the gym would work great, I've just never tried. They're usually padded too.

Something like this for an example:

I was more asking the original poster....it looks like it's just his body weight holding the knee bar but it's got string so maybe it's attached in a way that the photo isn't showing

I totally see where u going with it...once u had ur basic shape formed (the V to the tree) and attachment figured out u could have a helper heat the sheet and the set ur knees in there so it confirms to ur specific shape....1.5 or 2 neoprene and some contact cement and u in buisness

Edit: I guess it's more of a w or m to the tree whichever way u look at it haahha

Edit again: attachment is simple...cut out simple boat cleat ears into the pipe with a bur bit or Dremel.....I'm gonna start messing with it too and see what I can make without spending any money hehehe
I guess it'll just have to be lashed down to whatever u haul ur stuff with for "packing in"

Last edited:
Sweet. Mine was an old one I had laying around. I mainly lean, but sometimes you just need to change things up to pass some time and comfort is paramount.

I spent 5-1/2 hours in a leaning tree Sunday and I had to set up to the side of the lean. The struggle was real.

Shame on u Mr @lawrence ....the diy section been so slow lately and u go and throw it up in general hunting. Hehehehe
Good idea. U say only 2 sits? It's like 1" sch40? I wonder about the longevity...but if it only lasted a season that would be worth it to me

Ya know…..if ya just formed two separate “U”s with the pvc, covered them with foam, covered the inside of the “U” with foam, inserted them in a cloth sleeve, stitched the center to keep the two pieces separated and then stitched the ends (with extra room, explanation below) and either made tie off loops or put in grommets…… Then the PVC pieces could be moved inside the cloth sleeve to adjust to the tree size AND you could fold it up on itself to minimize the size.

Back