• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Knee update

Newhunter1

SH Member
Well Monday I got my full leg brace off and am now able to drive. The past 6 weeks was rough and I learned to hate that leg brace. However my knee is getting stronger. I am able to do full rotations on stationary bike. Let me tell you...the muscle loss is crazy. Using one of my tendons to graft into my ACL....a painful process...especially at night while trying to get comfortable and sleep. I spoke with my surgeon Monday and asked him for a custom knee brace so that i can have it for martial arts and hunting. He told me that I would get a custom knee brace in 4 months.

My question for my fellow saddle hunters is this. I love to one stick, but for this next season I do not want to push the knee and after thinking about different things...reading Asby's report and having almost 365 days to tinker...I am thinking about selling some gear and getting a set of 3 mini-sticks with a 2 step CAIG aider. For those that had ACL replacement surgery...were you able to do one sticking the following hunting season? I ask as my knee is still stiff and sore going up the stairs or down...I know I have 8 months still...just mentally thinking things out.

Maybe you would benefit from 2TC. I've never had knee surgery but it seems to me that you may be able to do it since it really only requires one bending leg.

I would consider LWHC rather than a bunch of dangly climbing methods. My concern would be overdoing it before you have the extra stability you need. Even over plain ol sticks with no aider. Both feet are level & you can assist your self up with your arms as well.

I would consider LWHC rather than a bunch of dangly climbing methods. My concern would be overdoing it before you have the extra stability you need. Even over plain ol sticks with no aider. Both feet are level & you can assist your self up with your arms as well.

This is why I plan on trading/selling my son's platform, rope and safeguard since he told me that he doesn't like hunting deer. Looking at options to prepare for next year.

I had a Total Knee Replacement in March this year and was in my Summit climber on October 1st and was saddle climbing with three Helium three step sticks in January with no big problems. I had one step aiders on the Heliums and had to use my good leg in them as I don't have as much flexibility in the TKR leg. As long as you keep rehabbing that knee you should be OK. The Summit climber gave me zero problems so that could be an option.

I wasn't a saddle hunter when i had my surgery. I would say you should be able to be back to almost 100% by fall if you really work at it. It totally depends on how much work you put into getting the strength back to help support your knee. My advice would be to do focused work on the weak leg once your PT team gives you the go ahead.
Evrything should be well healed up in a few more months and then it is up to you how fast you reach your strength potential.

Back