• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Kneepads necessary?

Sh93

Hey guys,

I'm about to jump into my first season in the saddle. Are kneepads necessary? What benefit do they have over simply attaching a cushion to the tree?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Hey guys,

I'm about to jump into my first season in the saddle. Are kneepads necessary? What benefit do they have over simply attaching a cushion to the tree?

Definitely a personal preference thing. I tried knees to my back pack straps which didn’t work to good. My knees didn’t like being against the tree without padding and I’ve used a small cushion and bungee cords. It’s more stuff to pack and more stuff to move if you hop to the back side of the tree later in the day or change trees. For me the real benefit of knee pads is that I can put them on at the truck and forget about them until it’s time to put the gear back in the truck. That is the only real benefit in my opinion

If you have a pack with the padded kidney/waist belt I've just been positioning that for my knees when hanging my pack. It's worked so far on shorter 2-4hr. sits. I'd probably want the cushion for any longer though.

I suppose if you exclusively lean you could do without. If you sit and put knees against the tree for any time, you will want some kind of padding.

Some guys wear knee pads. Some strap a pad to the tree which is a cheaper option.

I wear knee pads because I can just walk in with them and don't have to think about it any more and have to mess with one more thing up in the tree.

I bought kneepads... took them out with me a few times... decided I didn't need them as I am more of a leaner... would just not rather have them in my pack

For me knee pads are a necessity. I went with the Trophyline ones and have been very happy with them. I do a split between sitting and leaning. I also find the knee pads very helpful for my knees when I’m one-stick climbing.

Only way to find out if they are necessary for you is to try different things. I use a ROS and sit with at least one knee against the tree probably 75% of the time. And, like @CharlieTN said above, they make one-sticking way more comfortable. So yeah, for me, with my system, they are necessary.

I agree with the others who use kneepads for both one sticking (sort of with soloscout) and knees on tree. Another bonus of kneepads ove strapped pad is if you need to move around the tree to take a shot you knees are protected no matter where you put on tree. I like having them on from the truck. Another benefit is if you need to kneel down because you spot a deer your knees are protected. I stillhunt some and wear kneepads even if I don't plan on going up a tree.

Back