• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Knot for Notch V3 Quickie?

Ditchdiver

Just ordered a Notch V3 Quickie to replace my delta link on my tether/rappel rope (C-IV). What knot should I use? I have a scaffold knot on the delta link but am concerned that the Quickie could be pulled through.... thanks in advance.

Just ordered a Notch V3 Quickie to replace my delta link on my tether/rappel rope (C-IV). What knot should I use? I have a scaffold knot on the delta link but am concerned that the Quickie could be pulled through.... thanks in advance.

You can always tie a figure 8 on a bight to create the loop and then to keep the quickie from falling off get some ranger bands and either choke the bight/loop down or also do that and twist it and put some band on that quickie too.

I do this with a sewn loop and a delta link where the sewn end is a little loose. Ranger bands are much better than a rubber band (stronger, don't dry rot, named after military use I guess...they are not made out of normal rubber and have many uses...i always buy the mixed size bag because you'll find the perfect size for your application that way).

PS in testing the figure 8 is usually the knot with the highest break strength among those tested...it's kinda the gold standard other knots are compared to

Last edited:
What do you mean by pulled through? Under a heavy load, knots like the scaffold knot constrict down super tight, the Quickie isn’t going to pull through. If you’re referring to opening the Quickie and rotating it to remove it from the knot then yes it can do that but that’s not a bad thing. Carabiners are used that way all the time.

What do you mean by pulled through? Under a heavy load, knots like the scaffold knot constrict down super tight, the Quickie isn’t going to pull through. If you’re referring to opening the Quickie and rotating it to remove it from the knot then yes it can do that but that’s not a bad thing. Carabiners are used that way all the time.

The scaffold is sort of self destructive knot

Something rigid and wide has to stop it from untying itself

For instance, put just webbing inside one and pull with 200 lbs, the webbing can get inside the knot

Other knots (that aren’t slip knots) don’t have this concern

I’m with him and only use delta links and you’re right they get super tight against it

It’s one less thing to think of 25 feet up dangling from a rope

I don’t think it’s happened to anyone, but I don’t like to go first with such things…we do a lot of things off label and so I always go good enough plus more

I’m with him and only use delta links and you’re right they get super tight against it

It’s one less thing to think of 25 feet up dangling from a rope
Are you saying that you're with me and WOULDN'T use a scaffold knot?
Also, any other suggestions? I really don't want the figure 8, due to bulk. I've seen a knot similar to the scaffold but with two wraps around the object (in this case, a Quickie or delta link), but not sure what it is called, how to tie it or if it would be a good choice. Any more help is appreciated.

I don’t think it’s happened to anyone, but I don’t like to go first with such things…we do a lot of things off label and so I always go good enough plus more

I hear what you're saying and I don't have a horse in the race, there's plenty of other good knots to choose from as well. It's commonly used in Arboriculture so to me it's seems normal to use but we all come from different backgrounds

Also, any other suggestions? I really don't want the figure 8, due to bulk. I've seen a knot similar to the scaffold but with two wraps around the object (in this case, a Quickie or delta link), but not sure what it is called, how to tie it or if it would be a good choice. Any more help is appreciated.
Maybe you're thinking of an Anchor knot? It wraps around twice

I hear what you're saying and I don't have a horse in the race, there's plenty of other good knots to choose from as well. It's commonly used in Arboriculture so to me it's seems normal to use but we all come from different backgrounds

The scaffold is actually one of my favorite knots. I use it to connect my ropes to carabiners and delta quick links (it's the only knot I use for that). There's just a few applications where my gut says "nah, try another".

This comes down to rope too. That canyon is 9 mm and I hear similar to Oplux. It should knot down pretty small. The thinner the diameter and more supple the rope then the larger the object will be to it (dental floss vs 11 mm climbing rope). It might knot down so well that you don't have a second thought.

Maybe Poachers’s with two wraps instead of the tree wrap Scaffolds?
IMG_6433.jpeg

Second the above comments, it’s not going to pull out, possible if the eye is empty.

Maybe Poachers’s with two wraps instead of the tree wrap Scaffolds?
View attachment 91568

Second the above comments, it’s not going to pull out, possible if the eye is empty.

I would feel okay with the exact look of the top knot on that rounded area. That rope is narrow enough and metal thing wide enough...I'd be more worried about the really thin oval quick links

i'd probably still double a ranger band over the rope/knot and then connect it with that to the quickie....because dropping that thing in a tree would really make me mad

When loaded, there is an opposite and equal load on the screw link and the rope exiting the knot.
From years of using these, and untying them, a suitable sized screw link for life support couldn’t expand the wraps and pass through while loaded.

Back