• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Knot on my Linesman belt?

4 Beards

I want to leave my Linesman belt attached to one side of my saddle, no carabiner. What knot would you use for that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tech rescue experience on the FD you can do a figure 8 follow through. Make your standard F8, loop your working end around your saddle loop then retrace the F8 till you come out the other side and finish with an overhand safety. Finished product will look like a F8 on a bight enclosed on your saddle loop. https://www.101knots.com/figure-8-follow-through.html

jcam1841, I thought about going with that one. I think I’ve learned how to tie both 8’s now. Thanks for all the help!

I second the figure 8 follow through. This what they teach when you tie in for belaying.
Curious why you want to get rid of a carabiner? They sent much weight and allows you to remove and store in a sys bag.

I’m new to using a Linesman rope. I was thinking I want it permanently on my saddle so I don’t drop it. I’ll have a pouch right there to store it.

No love for the bowline? Is there something I should know? Seems like it takes less rope to tie...
Single line bowline is not safe, it can easily untie it self. A double, or "double loop" bowline is an acceptable tie in knot for rock climbing, with a barrel backup of course. At this point you're using more rope than a follow through 8, and it becomes more bulky.

Hmm learn something new everyday. I thought I was being extra safe with a stopper on the tag end. Guess I've been living in the edge.

I’m new to using a Linesman rope. I was thinking I want it permanently on my saddle so I don’t drop it. I’ll have a pouch right there to store it.

I like the way Greg (g2) does this as well. Definitely something I will be doing with my kit.

Back