• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Knot option for Prusik

grouse

Looks like a double fishermans knot is commonly used on the prusik. I see that HSS uses and overhand knot and then clamps the ends together. Think there is anythign wrong with this approach?
HSS00039RopeStyleTreeStrap.jpg

Look at a Distel Hitch.

Last edited:
Looks like a double fishermans knot is commonly used on the prusik. I see that HSS uses and overhand knot and then clamps the ends together. Think there is anythign wrong with this approach?
HSS00039RopeStyleTreeStrap.jpg
I have a HSS for my tether. When I put a Ropeman1 on it I moved the prusik to my Kite bridge to make it adjustable. Love having the adjustable bridge.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I’d leave it to the knot experts but it seems the major point/plus of knots is to be able to undo at a future point. In that light, the overhand isn’t a great option because you have to secure the tail. That’s maybe where aversion comes from.

When you’re buying a piece of kit premade for a specific purpose, that isn’t considered, so clamping the end can make sense.

I hope, in 2018, a company selling safety equipment, isn’t offering something unsafe. Curious to hear the thoughts of the resident rope and climbing guys

In climbing the prussik cord is also used as a sling for an anchor so the double fishermans knot is used because it doesn't reduce the strength of the cord too much. When used as a prussik for ascending, the overhand knot also known as a water knot is ok to use because it is not used as an anchor where a large fall is expected. If you notice the water knot has 3" tails. That's the minimum length I would use on that knot as well as a double fishermans they both will slip under a big load. The metal clip at the end is useless in my opinion. I will cut them off and tie a different stopper knot. Hope this helps a bit.

My spring and summer addiction is traditional climbing. (That's where you place your own anchor which is basically an M10 nut on a string and hope to God it holds if you fall).

Distel hitch for me

Im pretty sure a fishermans is comprised of overhand knots (interlaced).
That's a water knot. The fishermans goes around twice then through both loops.

I'm not particulary happy with the prussik knot on my tether as it's nearly impossible to slide it up the tether to make an adjustment. I'm converting to the Klemheist knot which grips in only one direction:
https://www.animatedknots.com/klemh...png&Website=www.animatedknots.com#ScrollPoint
I ran a klemheist for a while. It gripped too much for me with my 6mm accessory cord on 11mm static line. The bigger the accessory line the easier it is to move but at the same time it will slip more under load. I planning on using a modified climbing harness belt with a belay loop for the tree anchor. Then I'll flip a grigri belay device anchored to the belay loop and use the tether line clipped to my bridge like I would be belaying someone from above. I also keep a prussik on as a backup for the grigri
d6119f767ca7bb6963bc1133672ab208.jpg

Isn't the grigri and carabiner combination kinda noisy or is there a way to minimize that?

Isn't the grigri and carabiner combination kinda noisy or is there a way to minimize that?
It is when I use it for belaying while climbing. With a load on it there shouldnt be any noise. I'll bring tape just to be sure. It's the housing that makes most the noise anyway. I ultimately want a ropeman but I dont wanna fork out the cash so I'm using old climbing gear I have acquired over the years.

Back