• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Knot or sew webbing

DaWiz9578

If I'm make a single step aider is a knot stronger or sewing. I know there are several stitch patterns and thread types, but in general knots are easier to tie and if its comparable in strength loss I'll just do that.

Tried to search a few different ways if there was a thread on it already, if so just let me know. A lot of unrelated threads popped up.

Sent from my SM-J337V using Tapatalk

Water knot reduces strength by about 40%. Still plenty strong to use as an aider. I sewed mine on, if you are able to sew it is your best option

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do you use regular thread? If not what do you use? What sewing patterns seem to be best?

I use a #92 thread now, used #69 on my old machine and it was fine. Bonded nylon. A box stitch or two is plenty for an aider

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If I'm make a single step aider is a knot stronger or sewing. I know there are several stitch patterns and thread types, but in general knots are easier to tie and if its comparable in strength loss I'll just do that.

Tried to search a few different ways if there was a thread on it already, if so just let me know. A lot of unrelated threads popped up.

Sent from my SM-J337V using Tapatalk

I did both, but I'm nervous about DIY stuff used at height, so I overdo everything. I know a knot reduces strength more, but a knot will not unravel if sewed down as I did. So, I feel safer with it, and it doesn't rely upon my sewing ability (and I hand sew).

This is for a single, moveable aider that I carry up the tree and hang off the top and let drape over the bottom step. I used 1" climb spec tubular webbing, tied a water knot to make the right sized loop, left relatively long tag ends and then sewed the tag ends down to the underlying webbing (that forms the loop) so that there is no way the water knot can come undone (well a 1 in 10 million chance maybe). To top it off, I put a little gel super glue on the thread end where I tied a square knot to finish my stitch. I feel very secure with this set up and it looks pretty sleek.

I did both, but I'm nervous about DIY stuff used at height, so I overdo everything. I know a knot reduces strength more, but a knot will not unravel if sewed down as I did. So, I feel safer with it, and it doesn't rely upon my sewing ability (and I hand sew).

This is for a single, moveable aider that I carry up the tree and hang off the top and let drape over the bottom step. I used 1" climb spec tubular webbing, tied a water knot to make the right sized loop, left relatively long tag ends and then sewed the tag ends down to the underlying webbing (that forms the loop) so that there is no way the water knot can come undone (well a 1 in 10 million chance maybe). To top it off, I put a little gel super glue on the thread end where I tied a square knot to finish my stitch. I feel very secure with this set up and it looks pretty sleek.

Well in this application the amount of weight that its going onto the webbing is you plus a small amount more when you step down. It shouldn't be a life saving device like your harness and tether so I wouldn't worry about it. (Personally I've only done water knots on my webbing since I can't be bothered to dig out my sewing machine but maybe this winter I might play around with sewing.

I've got no problem trusting a water knot to hold me on an aider. I've used 1" tubular webbing with the water knot in it as an anchor for rappelling and even 2 person rescue in a stokes basket. Tie the water knot correctly and it gives you room to make your aider adjustable as well. Sewing will be stronger but makes it a more permanent setup.

I've got no problem trusting a water knot to hold me on an aider. I've used 1" tubular webbing with the water knot in it as an anchor for rappelling and even 2 person rescue in a stokes basket. Tie the water knot correctly and it gives you room to make your aider adjustable as well. Sewing will be stronger but makes it a more permanent setup.

Hey Springfield, MO. Nice to see a local dude.

Back