• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Knots

swamp_possum

Not a knowledgeable knot guy here. Is there an alternative, less bulky, knot anyone is using instead of the standard figure eight knot that comes on the Kestrel? Or is the figure eight the gold standard other than a splice.

Not a knowledgeable knot guy here. Is there an alternative, less bulky, knot anyone is using instead of the standard figure eight knot that comes on the Kestrel? Or is the figure eight the gold standard other than a splice.
Got pictures? Maybe I could help if I knew what you are trying to accomplish with the knot!

I’m trying to substitute the figure eight knots that come stock on the kestrel to attach the lineman’s rope and bridge. The knots are bulky and I am looking for an alternative that isn’t as bulky.

You can buy spliced rope. Then there are amsteel and webbing bridges. Or could also get away with smaller rope than what comes stock.

A water knot may be less bulky but not much.

If it’s bulk reduction you’re after you may want to just swap the bridge out to tubular webbing or amsteel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Take that predator rope and splice up
Some eyes in it. Otherwise, Amsteel or other options as mentioned above

Splicing (double braid) isn't too bad once you overcome the overwhelming urge to throw the rope and all your splicing tools in a fire. The second and third times around get much easier.

If you're splicing hollow core (amsteel) it's a walk in the park.
Yeah i was trying to avoid splicing predator rope but if I have to that may be what I do. I may try an overhand knot and girth hitch it on one side and then do a fisherman’s knot on the carabiner side

Yeah i was trying to avoid splicing predator rope but if I have to that may be what I do. I may try an overhand knot and girth hitch it on one side and then do a fisherman’s knot on the carabiner side
If you do decide to splice the predator rope: use a wire fid to pull instead of the regular fids that push.

Back