• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Kobalt 40v Chainsaw

Nutterbuster

SH Member
So with an old river camp converted to a full-time home comes some cute little chores. One of these chores was a 12" diameter popcorn tree sandwiched between utility lines and 200+ ft of fence that was grown up with trash trees.

Neither of these things are good to have if you live in a hurricane zone. I initially started the project with my old faithful handsaw. This was no-bueno. I considered borrowing my dad's Stihl, but I've got neighbors in close proximity and can only do yardwork in the evenings.

Enter the Blue Devil.

This thing has wildly exceeded my low expectations. Lightweight, quiet, no hassle, and capable of doing 99% of what I want a chainsaw to do. If a tree is too big to cut with this little dude, it is big enough to be beyond my comfort level.

The battery lasts a good, long time; and the chain can be replaced and adjusted without tools. It is bama-fan simple. So far (knock on wood) it's holding up great.

It's been on a few canoe trips to help clear log jams and keep trails open, and it makes cleaning up roads, plots, and shooting lanes at my lease a snap. With a spare battery, I think you could just about run it all day.

While a real chainsaw it definitely isn't, for $150 you are getting your money's worth.
5aac8f72dae1afc583dc6c5a2f787f6e.jpg
8978eb31f6036b7934a473ec84e57870.jpg

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Often thought how nice it would be to have a good battery powered chain saw that’s capable of cutting trees. I like my stihl but I don’t use it enough and end up cleaning the carb out every so often. Usually right when I actually need it. The low maintenance on the electrics I a big selling point and as the batteries continue to improve it’s getting to the point where for most users that don’t cut for a living the electric battery models are more practical to own and use. Thanks for the write up. I’ll have to take a look at one of those.

Yeah, gas chainsaws are best if used often. I do not have the pleasure of needing one regularly.

This thing is always ready to play. No fuel mixing, priming, carb cleaning, or repetitive rope snatching. Just a little bar oil and a topped-off battery.

I'll also add that, where legal, this dude is the bomb for cutting up camping firewood. You can cut some serious fallen dead wood in about 10 minutes without disturbing the peace. I can't wait to use it on one of my canoe camping trips.

Lowe's also has an 80v series of electric tools. Kinda pricy, but something to maybe look into if you think you'll want more "oomf."

Personally, I'm thinking about getting the 40v weedeater to match it. The tools share batteries, which is neat. It would be nice if you could weed eat with a headlamp when you got home from work. Cooler temps for sure, and a relaxing way to end a day.

"Thats not a chainsaw, this is a chainsaw!"(90cc american muscle-that ash is 32" diameter, to give some scale) In the best crocodile dundee accent the internet can provide:
2018-10-23 13.22.40.jpg

0.35 oz, it carries itself, and fold tightly into a small fanny pack.

Oh how I love "Bama-fan simple". Believe that phrase is about to make it into my regular vocabulary.

Neat little chainsaw. Would probably fit my needs as well.

I've weed-eated under a headlamp quite a few times.... Not sure I've ever called that relaxing ha.

@Nutterbuster
for $150 does it come with the battery? Does it accept longer bars?
Up here in the frozen north we use chainsaws to cut through the ice for spearing holes
Wondering if the squeeze is worth the juice on that Kobalt for the ice

@Nutterbuster
for $150 does it come with the battery? Does it accept longer bars?
Up here in the frozen north we use chainsaws to cut through the ice for spearing holes
Wondering if the squeeze is worth the juice on that Kobalt for the ice
I believe mine came with the battery. As far as bars? They're not available through Lowe's/kobalt to my knowledge. Maybe whoever makes them for Lowe's offers them? Not sure.

I'd hesitate to put a much bigger bar on one, but going up a size would let you use a 14" chain I think. Or a 12". Can't remember what size it is, but the chain was hard to find when I went to get a spare. Ended up hording them once I found some.

FYI your bar says 12 inch on it. You might not want to get the Vermont boys going on chainsaws. You might be here a while.
Ha! I knew it was 10 or 12.

I've seen a few trees go down myself. Chainsaws are cute, but you'd be surprised how big of a tree you can shove over. I'll leave it at that. ;)

Ha! I knew it was 10 or 12.

I've seen a few trees go down myself. Chainsaws are cute, but you'd be surprised how big of a tree you can shove over. I'll leave it at that. ;)
"Cute" like that baby pile of wood? I've got 6 cords bucked in the yard about half split I have to put up before well....it's past due. Another couple hours swinging the maul and it'll be done....

"Cute" like that baby pile of wood? I've got 6 cords bucked in the yard about half split I have to put up before well....it's past due. Another couple hours swinging the maul and it'll be done....
Your way behind. Put about 5 cord up this year had it split and stacked by July. Can't stand splitting wood in the humidity.

Your way behind. Put about 5 cord up this year had it split and stacked by July. Can't stand splitting wood in the humidity.
Sure am...but I've got 2 up.. I hate splitting when it's hot too. Plus they split a littlw easier when they're slightly frozen :)

Back