• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Kong VS RollNlock

IkeMM7

Jun 22, 2020
Trying to decide on either the Kong Duck, or CT RollNLock. I plan on using it for my lineman’s belt and tether; pairing it with Oplux rope. All pros and cons of each are helpful.

cedar paul

SH Member
Oct 14, 2014
I really enjoy the smooth operation of the Rollnlock and its lightweight. I have no experience with the Kong Duck but am making up an Oplux linesman belt/tree tether using the Rollnlock.

bowhunthard88

SH Member
Apr 9, 2020
Dingmans Ferry, PA
I actually like the Kong better, physically, but the CT RollNLock is rated better as a climbing device. Therefore, I chose the CT RollNLock over the Kong. I have used both, and didn't have an issue using the Kong (I used one for a while). The CT was kinda like upgrading my insurance policy.

I would say that the Kong is lighter, slimmer, slightly quieter (without minor tweaks), and has a stronger return against the rope. The CT is slightly heavier, a bit wider, has more uses, needs a pull cord added for ease of use (also quiets the pulley, if it's done correctly), and will lock open if you choose. I haven't noticed enough of a difference, when actually using them for climbing, to say that one "works" better than another, though.

I use them, backed up by a stopper knot and/or prussic (or tied into my carabiner), for both my lineman's and my tether.

Last edited:
Reactions: bj139

DConnorsIndy

SH Member
Dec 20, 2019
Tried all 3. Went with CT because it seems to have the most versatility and was rated to 8.1mm.

I’ve used mine for tether, lineman’s belt, srt hand climber, and twice to hang deer after the fact.

The only reason I was originally hesitant on the CT was because the forum is so full of Ropeman/Kong talk I thought I was missing something but from where I sit it’s been great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: bowhunthard88

skyjacker

SH Member
Nov 21, 2018
Oklahoma
CT. Same price. More features. Stronger (according to the limited testing that's been done on these rope clamps). Watch Drew's video on the Kong for reference on how to correctly use them with a LB. Works the same with the CT.

IkeMM7

Jun 22, 2020
The multipurpose ability and higher rating is nice for the RollNlock; but what I mostly care about is how smooth the operation is. If somebody has used both; please let me know which one is smoother to use. Or if they are equally smooth. I watched a Mark Dohring video of him testing out the RollNlock; and the oplux looked like it went through the RollNlock buttery smooth.

bowhunthard88

SH Member
Apr 9, 2020
Dingmans Ferry, PA
The multipurpose ability and higher rating is nice for the RollNlock; but what I mostly care about is how smooth the operation is. If somebody has used both; please let me know which one is smoother to use. Or if they are equally smooth. I watched a Mark Dohring video of him testing out the RollNlock; and the oplux looked like it went through the RollNlock buttery smooth.

I would rate them about the same.