• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Kuiu guide vs First Lite Catalyst

Close caller

Curious if anyone has both and how they compare. I have the kuiu guide jacket and pants but would consider switching over if the catalyst blocks the wind better and is better for the tree stand.

One feature I really like about there guide is the ability to vent on my walk to the stand.

Looking at kuiu now, sitka is out of my budget. Bummer they don't make a bib, nothing worse than a back draft. I realise I'm not answering your question, but tell me how you like or dislike the guide series while you wait. Sounds like it's not good in the wind if your questioning it.

Looking at kuiu now, sitka is out of my budget. Bummer they don't make a bib, nothing worse than a back draft. I realise I'm not answering your question, but tell me how you like or dislike the guide series while you wait. Sounds like it's not good in the wind if your questioning it.

Sorry to derail the thread but to answer Ken, I have the guide jacket. I find it has a crunchiness to it. Kinda stiff but does give with movement if that makes sense. I much rather my Chinook jacket. Much more freedom of movement. I find it just as warm and windproof with a 240 peloton underneath. Guide jacket just has a hood and more water resistant if that’s what you are looking for. But for a no precipitation day, I take the chinook every time. Rather just pack a rain coat for a chance of rain. I don’t think I’ll ever own a hunting jacket without pit zips again. Love them.
Never had a backdraft problem. Layered and tucked in seems to seal that off.

I like it quite a bit. It does a decent job blocking wind and does well in light rain. However, it’s really breathable which is great for walking in but I get a little chilly wearing it in the tree. I should mention I get cold pretty easily. I wear the kenai jacket under it and I’m pretty darn comfortable to about 38-40 degrees wearing that.

Great jacket and I love the pants even more but I was wondering if the catalyst is a little warmer for tree stand hunting.

Back