• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Kuiu icon pro 1850

Danowens88

I’m researching packs. The icon pro has caught my eye because it’s modular and I plan on going in deep this year and packing out deer, but also want the flexibility to run a bigger bag on the frame for back country elk. Anyone else using this system? And how do you like i

I love mine but I’m not enamored with the frame system.

Emrah

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I got the icon pro 5000 or 5500. Can’t remember the exact model. I been planning an elk hunt for a few years and it’s finally gonna happen this year. I don’t have any experience with other packs so I don’t know the pros and cons of it next to others. I’ve used it hiking and loaded to exercise and I like it but can’t compare it to others. I also have the icon Venture1800. I use it for deer and hog hunting. I never had to pack out an animal with it but have used other regular backpacks to do so in the past and I’m sure with its light frame it will be a lot better on hauling meat out. I have a lot of Kuiu gear and I like it.

I have the icon pro 5500 and love it. Watch the sales and you’ll get a good deal! I will most likely get the 1850 also for future use

I love my EXO 3500 best pack I have ever owned.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m researching packs. The icon pro has caught my eye because it’s modular and I plan on going in deep this year and packing out deer, but also want the flexibility to run a bigger bag on the frame for back country elk. Anyone else using this system? And how do you like i

I have and icon pro 3200 and I use an ultra 1800 bag for packing out whitetail. The longest I have backpacked with the 3200 is for about 10 days. That was set up super ultra light and that long with that size is not recommended. Most would use that size for 2-3 days. In my opinion it’s a pretty good pack, not the best. It does get squeaky when it gets dirty. So you need to clean between the frame and suspension system. It really shines when everything is adjusted properly and you need to haul a lot of weight. My frame and icon pack are V1 the ultra 1800 bag is V2. Using the load shelf is a little weird on this pack, I usually review a video before I head out with it as a refresher. I’d say if you can get one for a good price grab it. I don’t think they make the 1850 anymore and if you’re buying used just find out what version it is because if you want to mix and match you’ll need a conversion kit, which kuiu will send you for free. it’s kind a pain switching back and forth. Hope this ramblings helps... lol

I have and icon pro 3200 and I use an ultra 1800 bag for packing out whitetail. The longest I have backpacked with the 3200 is for about 10 days. That was set up super ultra light and that long with that size is not recommended. Most would use that size for 2-3 days. In my opinion it’s a pretty good pack, not the best. It does get squeaky when it gets dirty. So you need to clean between the frame and suspension system. It really shines when everything is adjusted properly and you need to haul a lot of weight. My frame and icon pack are V1 the ultra 1800 bag is V2. Using the load shelf is a little weird on this pack, I usually review a video before I head out with it as a refresher. I’d say if you can get one for a good price grab it. I don’t think they make the 1850 anymore and if you’re buying used just find out what version it is because if you want to mix and match you’ll need a conversion kit, which kuiu will send you for free. it’s kind a pain switching back and forth. Hope this ramblings helps... lol

Thanks for the info man

I have the Icon Pro 1850 bag. I use it either with the carbon fiber frame and an Ultra suspension (I also have an Ultra 3000 bag that I use with the frame), or I use the shoulder straps and belt from the Ultra suspension with the internal supports on the 1850 when I don't need to haul weight.

My rationale: I used to carry my Assault II attached to the Kuiu carbon fiber frame. I zip-tied the frame and suspension to the stand (in place of Molle straps) because the whole thing weighed like 2 lbs and carries weight way better than Molle straps and belt). Then I would attach the Ultra 3000 bag to the frame, but over the stand, for my other gear, clothes, etc, and I even threw my Wild Edge steps or Muddy Pro sticks in the bag to reduce snags. Worked great - the whole thing weighed less than 30lbs and carried well because the pack is designed to carry a lot more weight than that. When I reached the tree I'd just take the bag off the frame, take the steps/sticks out and then just hang the bag off my saddle as I climbed, then hang it from a hook in the tree at height. The suspension and frame stayed attached to the Lone Wolf (again, like Molle straps), and I just wore it while I climbed and then took it off my shoulders when I got to hunting height and hung the stand.

I ordered an Icon Pro 1850 because I wanted a pack for turkey hunting and saddle hunting when I wasn't going to pack out a deer. I can use the bag on the frame if I want, but usually I just use the internal stays and use it as a day pack (Ultra doesn't have stays or ability to attach suspension without the frame). I can fit an 8 WE step bag with the steps, plus my saddle and all the ropes in the 1850 easily, along with knee pads, knife, head lamp, etc., extra clothes either get stuffed inside or strapped to outside.

That way I have a 10-15lb pack weight and I can hunt all day without noticing I'm even carrying it, but I have the option to climb a tree if I want.

Late season I'll probably go back to the 3000 bag, because I can fit my Sitka Fanatic jacket and bibs in that bag, along with the steps and saddle, which I can't do with the 1850 (those clothes are crazy warm, but they don't compress well at all, and I'm definitely not walking more than a few hundred yards with the Fanatic on...)

Anyway, once you get used to a western style frame and suspension, and using a bag that is separate from the actual pack, it opens up a lot of possibilities. It just takes awhile to get used to all the straps and attachment points. And, when you don't need the meat shelf option for either packing an animal out or for a stand, the 1850's option to be a stand alone pack that still carries weight pretty well is a nice option.

After all the info I got on here I just pulled the trigger on the new Kuiu pro 2300 that just came on their website today. I think it should be the perfect size for multiple situations when I need to pack in extra gear. I’m going in deep, all day morning sit. Still hunt to the next location and evening sit literally spending dark to dark in the woods

Back