• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Kuiu or Sitka

Publicpounder

I'm looking to upgrade my camo over the next year or two and I'm really liking Sitka. I have a Sitka insulation layer jacket that I love, but it was $250. Kuiu is a little cheaper, but I wasn't sure how the quality was compared to Sitka. I'm not as concerned with the earlier weather stuff, bit for Rut hunting what would you suggest?

I'm hoping to hear from those that have experience with both.

Sent from my SM-J727R4 using Tapatalk

I'm a Fanatic all the way. Warm, windstopper, pockets in the right place, and an athletic fit (no Michelin man). Just sat in my Kite with the Fanatic bibs and jacket, the leg pockets and the jacket pockets (especially the kangaroo hand warmer one) are all easily accessible. For me, it's an investment. Traveling to a colder climate, practicing all off season, and having great I can count on for two weeks straight makes a few dollars extra well worth it. First lite and Sitka base layers. I'm sold on the camo pattern also. If it didn't work, I wouldn't have it or waste the $$

I bought the Sitka fanatic series this year and absolutely loved it. I carried it into the stand and dressed at the base of the tree. All I wore was Cabela's ecwcs medium base layer for top and bottom. I also would the fanatic vest under the jacket. I could wear this this combo into 20s comfortably.

I wouldn't have bought this except I had a discount for 40% off and it made it more reasonable. I will definitely be getting more of Sitka stuff in the future.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

KUIU is good stuff, but it's geared more toward a mountain hunting layering system with the focus being on lightweight. Sitka is better for whitetail hunting IMO. Shop around and get deals on it, no need to pay full price.

I'm a Fanatic all the way. Warm, windstopper, pockets in the right place, and an athletic fit (no Michelin man). Just sat in my Kite with the Fanatic bibs and jacket, the leg pockets and the jacket pockets (especially the kangaroo hand warmer one) are all easily accessible. For me, it's an investment. Traveling to a colder climate, practicing all off season, and having great I can count on for two weeks straight makes a few dollars extra well worth it. First lite and Sitka base layers. I'm sold on the camo pattern also. If it didn't work, I wouldn't have it or waste the $$
It was about 17°, 0° wind-chill the day I recovered this buck (mid Nov Nebraska), but the Fanatic kept me warm. It will attract burrs tho (check the knee)!! Lol

Attachments

• IMG_20181129_061931596.jpg
    IMG_20181129_061931596.jpg
    387.5 KB · Views: 99
Sitka is great for cold weather , it can depend on where your hunting , I like first lite for my November hunting with the layering system. They have new mid season bibs coming out and a new mid season jacket from what I've heard where you can pass your hands through the jacket into the bibs pocket. I like the Kuiu but they really don't offer that much. for the super cold though you cant beat Sitka , I'm from the north east for rut hunting I like to be layered. The weather has been so crazy super warm in the morning some times before sun up then the temps drop. I also want bibs because I don't like having a belt on then putting the saddle around my waist , I feel like I have to much clutter going on around my waist. I want to put the bibs on put the saddle on and go! getting dressed to hunt can be real time consuming!

When I made the decision to buy better camo, it was between first lite and Sitka. I could get the Sitka cheaper so I went that route. I think you will be happy with either choice though, especially for late season.

I wore the First Lite Sanctuary bibs and jacket last week. The AM started at -4 and rose to a balmy 5. Stayed 8 hours. I had merino base with scentlok base. My walk in pants (thin) and a vest. I was warm. I really like the way the hood worked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would agree with the first lite sanctuary. I’ve owned almost all the Sitka pieces and only have a couple left. I’ve worn the Sanctuary in 40 degrees with nothing under it but base layers and just went out yesterday in -5 with a couple layers and was plenty cozy. They make amazing pieces. Warm and extremely quiet. Way quieter then the Sitka pieces. Awesome whitetail gear. I think they are releasing Bowhunting bibs and a new jacket this year as well!

I’ve owned/own all three brands. Kuiu has mostly been sold off over time with the exception of the Peloton 200 hoodie. As others have said, Kuiu was never designed for stationary stand hunting. As much as I wanted it to work, it was an inferior product for whitetail hunting compared to Sitka. I ordered a full set (base layers on up) of FirstLite and really, really wanted to like it. The quality just wasn’t on par with Sitka in my opinion. Sitkas materials and stitching and overall fit and finish just made me more comfortable with my purchase. The FirstLite was sloppier. Another huge factor is the Gore Windstopper aka windoroof vs. the other two brands “wind resistant”. Here in the northeast, that’s a giant plus for Sitka. I can wear less and stay warmer with the Windstopper.
The issue with Sitka can be the need to buy the entire system. I’ve developed a pretty minimalist approach to my clothing and would highly recommend it. If I could only purchase two Sitka pieces, I would without question get the Stratus jacket and bibs. These can be layered up or down and I have managed to stretch this system for my entire 75ish day season. I pair the jacket and bibs with a Patagonia puffy vest, Smartwool 250 base layers, and when warmer, I swap the bibs for generic lightweight Carhartt pants.

I should note, I really tried my damnest not to be a Sitka fanboy. Despite my best efforts and a boatload of money spent on other brands, I had to be honest with myself and accept that the best system for me the Sitka Stratus system. It let me hunt my entire season with some minor tweaks. Also, I did own the Fanatic jacket, vest, and bibs but found them too dedicated for my tastes. I could mimic all the benefits by using a puffy vest under my Stratus jacket and still be able to use the jacket in warmer weather. If I had unlimited money, I’d have the whole system, but that’s just not reasonable for me.

Right now I have the Kelvin ultright hoody which is really an insulated jacket. It's very light and folds up to nothing. Do you think that and the status bibs and jacket would suffice? I'm in Wi and during the rut it gets down to the 20s sometimes.

I was kind of figuring on needing the fanatic bibs and jacket, but they are not cheap.

Right now I have the Kelvin ultright hoody which is really an insulated jacket. It's very light and folds up to nothing. Do you think that and the status bibs and jacket would suffice? I'm in Wi and during the rut it gets down to the 20s sometimes.

I was kind of figuring on needing the fanatic bibs and jacket, but they are not cheap.

I think with proper layering it would work. I never used a vest until this year but I now think it is essential. I also hunt in Wisconsin and you could probably get by with the hoodie and some good base layers.... Maybe a vest over it with the Stratus line.

I have Kuiu and really liked it for my Elk hunt in New Mexico- but there was a lot of walking- for whitetails I would like to look at the Sitka Fanatics

If neither is an option that is the way I ended up. I like the Kuiu pants I've tried, don't have much experience with their tops with the exception of the Peloton 97 hoody which was comfortable and light but way to short in the torso for me. I had the entire Sitka Fanatic set (coat, bibs, hoody, vest) as well as the Stratus set (jacket, pants, vest, hat) and some other pieces like heavyweight baselayers and the Celsius jackets. I then picked up a couple pieces of First Lite, then a couple more, then I sold all of my Sitka stuff with exception of my Stratus beanie and spent all that money on First Lite, COULD NOT BE MORE GLAD.

I bought the Sitka fanatic series this year and absolutely loved it. I carried it into the stand and dressed at the base of the tree. All I wore was Cabela's ecwcs medium base layer for top and bottom. I also would the fanatic vest under the jacket. I could wear this this combo into 20s comfortably.

I wouldn't have bought this except I had a discount for 40% off and it made it more reasonable. I will definitely be getting more of Sitka stuff in the future.

Do you know of any discounts like this that are available now? Where did you get this one from?

So you have no problem with using the kangaroo pocket while in the saddle? Its 12 degrees here this morning and I have a whole bunch of Cabela's points on my card, considering a fanatic jacket.

Back