• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

KY Buck

KYHunter

So I’ve been following this deer since late season last year when he showed up on camera on one of the farms I hunt here in western KY. I looked for his sheds all spring and couldn’t find them but I quickly picked him up on camera this summer to confirm he survived the winter. Our bow season opens early here so all my focus was on this deer. I primarily try to hunt buck bedding so I was hunting fairly aggressively but just wasn’t aggressive enough on opening morning as he showed up on camera by a set I didn’t hunt because I didn’t want to risk spooking him just yet.

Based on camera info I could tell he was still in the area despite several hunts aimed at his core bedding area. I then realized that he likely had shifted bedding to the other side of the farm. I gained permission to access the farm from a different direction in an attempt to minimize my intrusion and it paid off. On my walk in a noticed fresh rubs and big tracks in an area I didn’t expect them to be. Rather than continue to my “suspected” bedding I set up on the hot sign where it ran into the corner of a bean field. I setup only about 12’ off the ground in a tree barely 4” in diameter. I had Hawk Minis, predator platform and Lattitude Classic saddle. I didn’t see any other deer all evening but right before dark this guy came out and gave me a 12 yard quartering away shot. He ran less than 100 yards and made for an easy recovery! It’s always nice when the deer read the script. This deer was likely a 5 or 6 year old as he had no anterior maxillary teeth left and very limited mandibular teeth. A short but fun season here in KY! Now I’m on to TN.

ACAB5E02-F0EA-4184-9533-D3D9A535A74F.jpeg

So I’ve been following this deer since late season last year when he showed up on camera on one of the farms I hunt here in western KY. I looked for his sheds all spring and couldn’t find them but I quickly picked him up on camera this summer to confirm he survived the winter. Our bow season opens early here so all my focus was on this deer. I primarily try to hunt buck bedding so I was hunting fairly aggressively but just wasn’t aggressive enough on opening morning as he showed up on camera by a set I didn’t hunt because I didn’t want to risk spooking him just yet.

Based on camera info I could tell he was still in the area despite several hunts aimed at his core bedding area. I then realized that he likely had shifted bedding to the other side of the farm. I gained permission to access the farm from a different direction in an attempt to minimize my intrusion and it paid off. On my walk in a noticed fresh rubs and big tracks in an area I didn’t expect them to be. Rather than continue to my “suspected” bedding I set up on the hot sign where it ran into the corner of a bean field. I setup only about 12’ off the ground in a tree barely 4” in diameter. I had Hawk Minis, predator platform and Lattitude Classic saddle. I didn’t see any other deer all evening but right before dark this guy came out and gave me a 12 yard quartering away shot. He ran less than 100 yards and made for an easy recovery! It’s always nice when the deer read the script. This deer was likely a 5 or 6 year old as he had no anterior maxillary teeth left and very limited mandibular teeth. A short but fun season here in KY! Now I’m on to TN.

View attachment 34251
Awesome!!! Beautiful Buck, great harvest.

View attachment 34251
Should have waited another year on him......just kidding my friend! Great job and way to go with your instincts and scrap the original plan, Nice Buck!

Should have waited another year on him......just kidding my friend! Great job and way to go with your instincts and scrap the original plan, Nice Buck!
Haha thanks! And yea I was nervous about the change of plans but I’m glad I went with my gut and hunted the hot sign

Back