• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Kydex/ABS sheet question

backstrap19

Hello to all of you kydex/abs plastic users! I am wanting to toy with some wild edge holster ideas. I'm not sure what thickness of sheets i should get? any input or advice would be appreciated.

I dont know what thickness would be best, but you can try out your idea with thinwall pvc drain pipe, it can be thermo molded then touched with a little rattle can love.

I dont know what thickness would be best, but you can try out your idea with thinwall pvc drain pipe, it can be thermo molded then touched with a little rattle can love.

Good idea for concept testing. I was looking at. 080 thickness kydex, which seems to be a common size, i wasnt sure if it was too thick or not. I also was curious about abs plastic and if it is any easier than kydex to form.

.80 is probably ok, I used .93 for some push pole holders for my boat, it’s not too think but definitely strong, I’d think it would work well for what you are doing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just built one using 0.080 that I haven't tested yet. First impressions are that the steps are held solid in the bottom, no issues there. But, I'm wondering if the back part that has the molle attachments is going to flex too much when the strap is off for drawing or holstering. Interested in what others have to say.

good input guys. thanks for the information. keep it coming. i have yet to decide how i'm going to attach and carry it. i'm leaning towards removable on my saddle.

Following up. Tested the holster I made out of 0.080, and the back flexes too much to trust with 5 or 4 steps in it. They didn't fall out at ground level, but I wouldn't trust it going up the tree.

Good thread and great timing. I have a Cordura pouch that 5 steps fit in nicely. I’m looking to make a holster of sorts, but the main goal is set the Kydex in the bag as 1. A guide for deployment and returning them to the bag. And 2. Protection from the standoffs.

Should I mold it to the Stepps like a holster or just give the bag some structure and not worry about the snug fit?

I used .08 abs from amazon, like 12 bucks for 4 12x12 sheets. Very happy with how it turned out!

I have built around 50 of them using .080 and they are very stable. I am on a work computer and don't have any pictures but you can search them and I will pop up.

Back