• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Ladder stand?

sdoyle1

This last season I did a few all day sits in a ladder stand on my property during the rut. The stand was miserably uncomfortable and what finally pushed me to look into saddle hunting more. The stand is in a great location. Just wondering if anyone here has used a ladder stand to climb tree and then tether in above the ladder stand. I’m considering it just for increased comfort.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I hunt a couple places where treestands are assigned and hang out above them. Most ladder stands are notoriously noisy so I avoid them when I can.

The newer ladder stands have mesh cloth seats but the older ones with a metal seat make pretty good platforms. Climbing them makes me cringe most of the time as there is always something creaking or popping, but it’s super nice once you’re up.

Yes, I just reset one on an adjacent tree to the original spot it was in. The cheap ones without a flip up seat work best for a platform.

Yup, same as others. My hunting partner has a couple, I just fold the seat up. Same with lock ons, just fold the seat up and tree it as a large platform.

We have about 10 ladder stands on our 300 acres of private and when I want to just Hunt one of those spots I take one stick and my predator, climb up the ladder stand, place my stick with an aider, climb it, set my platform and hunt from about 22 foot up and spend very little time climbing. Pretty useful tool if you’re getting out late to your property after work for an evening sit.

We have about 10 ladder stands on our 300 acres of private and when I want to just Hunt one of those spots I take one stick and my predator, climb up the ladder stand, place my stick with an aider, climb it, set my platform and hunt from about 22 foot up and spend very little time climbing. Pretty useful tool if you’re getting out late to your property after work for an evening sit.

I was thinking of doing this. One question I have is what if I want to be on the opposite side of the tree as the stand? I’m going to be using a jx3 so I won’t be using a platform. My only thought was to basically one stick around the tree to set tether on that side.

I was thinking of doing this. One question I have is what if I want to be on the opposite side of the tree as the stand? I’m going to be using a jx3 so I won’t be using a platform. My only thought was to basically one stick around the tree to set tether on that side.

You could definitely do that. If I want to do that, while standing on the platform of the ladder stand and facing the tree, I just put the stick on the side, climb over to that stick while tethered, then place my platform on the backside and step up onto the platform. I’ve done that multiple times with no issue. Once you place your stick on the side and get on your stick, you could just set your girth hitch on your tether to the backside of the tree and swing that way to set up I would assume with no issue.

I used my ladder stand location every time I saddle hunted last year. I got my saddle for Christmas so only hunted 7 days out of it. At the time I didn't have a climbing method so I used the ladder stand. It worked great! I have a homemade platform that I just strapped to the tree just above the ladder stand seat. I would suggest if you are wanting to hunt the backside of the ladder use strap on steps. String up some strap on steps to the ladder stand strap to make sort of a ROS. Just thinking out loud.

I use old wooden ladder stands for my ladders up in the tree all the time. All private land, so I can leave them. Get to my top platform and attach my platform and step up onto it and set up and hunt. On private land, I try to have preset ways to get up in the tree as often as possible to simply things. If I have a need to adjust location on the fly, I’m set up too, but if I have locations preset, it’s a no brained to me to have a way up not already prepared.

I tried this once last season. Climbed up the ladder and stood on my lwhc seat on the back side of the tree. Worked pretty well!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back