• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Laptop for editing videos?

Big Country

Plan to buy a new laptop soon. I'm not a gamer or anything like that. Just need to be able to edit videos of hunting, family and such. What do ya'll recommend?
Looking at an Acer swift laptop, 15.6 screen intel core i7, 8gb memory, 256GB solid state drive, windows 10 for 700$

Company I work for has been giving us Dell machines for many years. Not saying they are the Hoyt of computers, but they work and Dell's been around a long time.

Look into the cheaper gaming laptops. You may not be a gamer, but CPU and GPU requirements are quite similar. If you go consumer grade on a laptop, it may not run video editing software for long before being surpassed by the software requirements. You could get more bang for your buck with a desktop, if you can swing it.

The wife and I are replacing our desktop this year, and we are looking into a mid-level gaming computer so we get more years out of the performance.

Absolute best bang for your buck for computer builds is a company called iBuypower. You get half again more computer than you would for the same price at a box store.

The I7 is great, but I would be concerned about the graphics card at that price, often times there isn’t one. Your GPU is HIGHLY important for rendering video editing, and the price they list leaves little room for graphics cards (which are very expensive at the moment).
I would personally take a lower processor like an I5 8300 paired with a decent graphics card. That way, the CPU and GPU can split tasks.

Last edited:
Get a nvidia card, Solidstate drive

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a lenovo yoga 720 which works well. I would get some external storage drive though because videos will eat it up and slow your computer down for when you use it to do basic things.

Back