• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Last minute season prep

Murph4028

Vendor Rep
Here in the Piedmont region of NC we are exactly 30 days out from opening day of bow season. I've been preparing all year and tried a lot of new things. With all that I've got my system whittled down to the necessities and really honed in on my climbing method. While taking in all aspects of my climbing method to include transport, time up the tree, safety, noise, and ease of use it came down to wild edge steps vs 1 sticking with a muddy pro. I love the wild edge steps and will use them from time to time but for now I will primarily go back to 1 stick climbing as it requires less gear (knaider, swaider, bag/holster, linesman belt). For me, using a muddy pro wins in all of the categories mentioned and deer hunting for me is about what will help me kill deer. I don't get up at 3am to play with cool gear. Maybe as I get more time in with them that will change. Aside from that I have been stepping up my shooting with the 1 pin method as mentioned in a thread by @kyler1945. If you haven't tried this I really recommend it. It takes almost all thinking out of that aspect of the hunt. Use your range finder, find your pin limit, and know what elevation adjustments to make from there exceeding about 30 yards. Too simple and easy. Lastly, over the last few months I've been shedding bulk and weight where I can. Switched out the predator rope and ropeman for oplux and a duck, transferred everything that used to hang on my saddle to my pack minus my tether, and bought a lighter more efficient pack. What have you done to prepare for this season? As it approaches where is your focus at?

Practicing with 1 pin as well. Trying to prep as many trees as possible by End of Aug. Working on food plots. Trying to learn to use what I have and stop buying more. Starting Sept 1, all practice will be from hunting height with gear, with broadheads at multiple targets, distances and angles. Rehearse, to the tree, up, positioned, practice, back down. Trying to get smoother, faster, quieter. It's almost game time.

Great thread. Three areas of focus for me right now.
1) Trying to get a practice climb in every other day. This includes my archery setup with DIY sticks and Podium, as well as my gun season setup with 1-stick & JX3.

2) Trying to practice every day with the EZV sight. It's getting pretty good. Flipped the insert to practice without lines and I'm starting to see the vitals. Tend to shoot a little high right now but working on it.

3) Trying to do as much online scouting as I can, particularly in NH which is a new state for me. I've also made two physical trips without much to be hyped about, but I'll keep looking. I'm loving the extra week and a half it brings in Sept (earlier than VT/NY). Just gotta hone in on a few spots to make it worth it.

Trying to avoid getting caught up in further gear exploration. Easy now boy! Next year...Strap on steps are next year, I say!

Practicing with 1 pin as well. Trying to prep as many trees as possible by End of Aug. Working on food plots. Trying to learn to use what I have and stop buying more. Starting Sept 1, all practice will be from hunting height with gear, with broadheads at multiple targets, distances and angles. Rehearse, to the tree, up, positioned, practice, back down. Trying to get smoother, faster, quieter. It's almost game time.

I hear you on all that for sure. Honing in that set up and being a pro with what I have decided to use. Everytime I shoot I try to do it from the tree and not be lazy about it. It's a good excuse to practice the approach, the climb, setting up, then finally shooting. I hate doing it though unless my wife is kind enough to be my arrow retriever haha

Great thread. Three areas of focus for me right now.
1) Trying to get a practice climb in every other day. This includes my archery setup with DIY sticks and Podium, as well as my gun season setup with 1-stick & JX3.

2) Trying to practice every day with the EZV sight. It's getting pretty good. Flipped the insert to practice without lines and I'm starting to see the vitals. Tend to shoot a little high right now but working on it.

3) Trying to do as much online scouting as I can, particularly in NH which is a new state for me. I've also made two physical trips without much to be hyped about, but I'll keep looking. I'm loving the extra week and a half it brings in Sept (earlier than VT/NY). Just gotta hone in on a few spots to make it worth it.

Trying to avoid getting caught up in further gear exploration. Easy now boy! Next year...Strap on steps are next year, I say!

Yeah for sure. I have wanted an EZV for a while now but refuse to get it this close to season. I will get it post season so I can get a lot of reps with it before I attempt to kill anything with it. Everyone I know that has one loves it.

Only 5 weeks left till the opener- its all about presets. And while out presetting doing some last minute scouting. I always think I am gonna find just a slightly better spot.

I still gotta get new strings and cables on my bow...really gotta get on that next week. We have until 10/5 and I can't hunt the opener. Why someone would schedule a wedding that day when the whole family hunts is beyond me? Whiskey tango foxtrot.

I didn't do much this year compared to the whirlwind of the last two offseasons. I too hopped on the Oplux bandwagon. Also swapped out my DIY platform for the Predator. Both of those moves combined saved about a pound. I'm turning into a real weight weenie. Look out deer I'm a one pound lighter lean mean killing machine. Oh and almost forgot I did get a Flex to try in addition to old trusty Kite. Modded out all the buckles on it. We'll see, I'm not sold on it yet. Compared to the barely there feeling of the Kite it feels like I'm walking in a stiff nylon diaper. But it does seem more comfortable to sit in from a few minutes in the backyard.

Last edited:
For me it’s a whirlwind of activity. I’m still trying to complete my mountain bike/ trailer set up as well as finish mounting scope and sighting in my new saddle rifle. Everything is good with my archery set up, so I’m just slinging arrows as time permits. I’m still trying to finish the Kayak too. Spent so much time fishing from it, it didn’t dawn on me till this thread that I still haven’t mounted the bow holder on it! And I’m still having to make sure my wife’s deer stands are all in hunting form. Too much but it will all come together

This will be my first year in a saddle, so I'm finishing up making my platform, figuring out how I will climb with things, etc. I'm accustomed to mobile hunting, things are just a bit different with a saddle. I still have my farm and my in laws farm to finish planting food plots, checking straps on preset stands, and just general maintenance of everything. Also need to finish the work on my camper before season. Hopefully I can get all of it done.

For me it’s a whirlwind of activity. I’m still trying to complete my mountain bike/ trailer set up as well as finish mounting scope and sighting in my new saddle rifle. Everything is good with my archery set up, so I’m just slinging arrows as time permits. I’m still trying to finish the Kayak too. Spent so much time fishing from it, it didn’t dawn on me till this thread that I still haven’t mounted the bow holder on it! And I’m still having to make sure my wife’s deer stands are all in hunting form. Too much but it will all come together
Got a lead on a bow holder for the yak? Planning on taking trying this access method this year with a boat I was dumb lucky to find in the garage collecting dust.

Kolpin Rhino Grip XL
@TNSTAAFL --this is based on being able to change the angles easy and has good retainer straps in case of flipping

Kolpin Rhino Grip XL
@TNSTAAFL --this is based on being able to change the angles easy and has good retainer straps in case of flipping
Thanks! Looks pretty sweet, as far as holding the bow goes. I'm a little hesitant to drill into the in-laws Pungo however. Anyone seen some kind of clamp on version of this? Maybe I could attach these to some clamps.

Thanks! Looks pretty sweet, as far as holding the bow goes. I'm a little hesitant to drill into the in-laws Pungo however. Anyone seen some kind of clamp on version of this? Maybe I could attach these to some clamps.
They do have a handlebar style clamp that u may be able to modify or adapt

I’m just trying to finish up my list of stuff that needs done around the house that seems never ending. I just about have my saddle set up completely finalized just need to practice set up and tear down.. I’ve went with the 100% leaving my private farms alone all year and only going in to hang and hunt.. I quit running cameras and presets as I feel I was bumping and education more deer than I was doing good.. hoping for an exciting deer season and good luck to everyone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Since I feel like I'm always in hunting mode I feel like I'm always prepping. But since Oct 1st is quickly approaching I've ramped it up. Feeling pretty confident with the EZV site on the bow, got the rifle dialed in. Gear is narrowed down to what I'll actually need. Going next weekend to GPS mark trees and do some more summer scouting in the truck. Only thing is I need to find a new pack for hauling sticks and gear till I get to the tree since mystery ranch doesn't wanna seem to restock the mule.

Kolpin Rhino Grip XL

Interesting idea. I have always just strapped it behind me but I have a set of these just lying around doing nothing....

As to the original question. I'm still trying to figure out everything. I'm also used to mobile hunting rarely sitting in the same tree, maybe the same area but the saddle is completely new to me. I had ordered both a Flex and a JX3 and both have now come in within about a week of each other. So trying to see which one wins out right now. Thus far the JX3 seems impossible to shoot out of (can't get the bridge out away from me) and the Flex is giving me a little hip pinch (maybe I should of got size 2). Also undecided on climbing method. I'm used to sticks so I think my current plan is to use sticks on the first climb and leave paracord for SRT if I return. I'm really liking SRT and rappelling

Interesting idea. I have always just strapped it behind me but I have a set of these just lying around doing nothing....

As to the original question. I'm still trying to figure out everything. I'm also used to mobile hunting rarely sitting in the same tree, maybe the same area but the saddle is completely new to me. I had ordered both a Flex and a JX3 and both have now come in within about a week of each other. So trying to see which one wins out right now. Thus far the JX3 seems impossible to shoot out of (can't get the bridge out away from me) and the Flex is giving me a little hip pinch (maybe I should of got size 2). Also undecided on climbing method. I'm used to sticks so I think my current plan is to use sticks on the first climb and leave paracord for SRT if I return. I'm really liking SRT and rappelling

If you haven't already, try messing with your bridge length. That's usually the culprit of hip pinch for guys who suffer from it.

If you haven't already, try messing with your bridge length. That's usually the culprit of hip pinch for guys who suffer from it.
Thanks. I played with it briefly. Shorter or longer tend to help?

Seems like I started prepping as soon as last season ended. I'm pretty well set now, just waiting for my Flex to arrive, and practicing with the recurve everyday. Fishing to pass the time till the Oct 5th opener here in VA.

Oh yeah... and saving $ to buy a full set of 15 Squirrel Steps

Thanks. I played with it briefly. Shorter or longer tend to help?

Longer bridges tend to relieve hip pinch. I prefer a shorter 24" bridge but most are comfortable around the 30" mark. You just have to play with it and see where your comfortable at. Also keep in mind, that a longer bridge translates into a higher tether tie in point which also affects comfort. So I wouldn't make it any longer than you feel like you have to

Back