• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Layering Up

Buckhole75

So I am thinking about modding a pair of coveralls to allow you to wear your saddle under them.Sewing in openings to allow for your bridge and loops to be pulled out.This would require a carabiner on one side of the bridge but I think it would work.What do you guys think?

You could also do one larger horizontal opening. You then pull your fixed bridge through, and use snaps or magnets in the middle part of the opening to close it up.

As long as the connections are all the way out to allow for the different angles the bridge will be in relation to your body and the connections for the linemans belt are also out it should work. You would want to be doubly sure you know which is your bridge which is you LB.

Can ask what advantage you are looking to gain? No judgement, just curiosity.

Just be easy to slip on at the tree and won’t have to worry about the saddle gettin* tight over heavy layers
I'd think that if it's cold enough that you need heavy layers, the holes in your heavy layers needed might cause some issues, unless you can really make them snug.

I was really worried about this stuff when I first started using slings. I've gotten good at learning my body's tolerance to cold, and what my clothes are capable of. I rarely add or take off layers in the tree now, with exception of a heavier jacket once I'm settled in.

A couple of notes on the topic:

- Bibs or pants that zip to the hip are the shiz. Especially if they have double zippers for both directions. It allows me to put bibs on at base of tree, climb, and unzip to cool down if I get hot climbing. Bibs that zip this way may solve your dilemma of needing to modify something, though I haven't had a need to try it.

- Being used to my climbing methods, and going very very slow, have kept me from sweating with heavier layers on. This gets said a lot on here, but can't be stressed enough in my opinion. Some folks like being up the tree in three minutes. It's nice if you're running late. Though it's difficult to quantify, I feel my sightings have gone up due to quiet, deliberate, slow setup going up the tree. Mostly, it feels nice to be relaxed and calm slipping up the tree trusting in what I'm doing.

- It's probably too late to change if you're experiencing this now, but you got the wrong saddle if you can't layer up without it becoming to small for ya. Too big is better than too small. Having said that, I'm borderline needing a size 2. My size 1 kestrel fits swimmingly with layers to get me into the teens. I suppose if you're hunting single digit weather I could be wrong on this account. But if you're on the fence on a size - go up. You can always sell it for ten bucks less on here if you're wrong...

- I have put on and off pants in the tree with the kestrel. I just went one leg strap at a time, then waist strap. But I had a nice roomy platform to make that maneuver! Probably wouldn't be the easiest thing in the world on any sort of steps or small platform.

Back