• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Lazy / Efficient Preset Question

Psomeone

Forgive me if this has been discussed couldn't find a thread.

Does anyone setup a strap or chain ect.. on their presets to just clip onto instead of girth hitching? Sounds lazy but would cut down on the time, noise, and effort of pawing through a Pine (and i don't want to cut anymore out of a tree than i need to) to get rope in place easily. Originally thought an eye hook but afraid if it doesn't go all the way through and get properly backed up on opposite side there's potential for pull out. Then thought aircraft cable or chain with chafe protection for the tree. (I don't have a ton of land and a couple favorite trees I'd like to setup for easy access and moves (Private land so free to do a lot, but prefer not to injure trees if I don't have too).

Thanks

I have not considered that until now. I have considered however, leaving a lifeline from the top to avoid using linemans going up and down. Not enough$$ for that.

John eberhart hooks up to 2 cranford t screws buried almost all the way up to the crosspiece. Not really necessary in my book, but he does it in order to hunt really large diameter trees.

If it were me, I would sew up some straps out of those big yellow tie down straps. I’m not personally a big fan of hanging from a screw because I have no idea what kind of shape the wood is in behind that cambium layer is in. I have had numerous times since drilling holes for bolts where I hit a completely invisible rotten spot in the tree. I prefer my set all the way around the trunk or limb as well for this very reason. A cable with sleeve could work as well, I’m just not as familiar with how well that distributes weight across the bark.

................................................................................All climbing methods, platforms, saddle designs, and/or use of materials possibly mentioned in the post above are not peer reviewed for safety, and should only be used as an example of my own method. Do your own research and testing before becoming confident in any DIY solution to support your life.
-IkemanTx

Combine both Ideas? These will be presets so little extra effort up front isn't a problem. Thanks for the thoughts.

Maybe Eyebolt / t screws , backed up with a wrap of amsteel around tree as a safety?

You can certainly leave something on the preset. When I owned my farm, all of my lockons had a lifeline so I was connected before my feet left the ground. If leaving a rope, always check it on every sit to make sure something hasn't chewed on it. Never considered a chain or cable before, I'd go cable before chain just for noise if choosing that route.

Back