• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

leafy suit or regular camo

NWFLBowhunter

Oct 22, 2014
Hello all, stumbled onto this site the other day after ordering an aero evo. Its time for some new camo as mine is starting to show its age. So the question is, while using the saddle, do you prefer standard pant/shirt combo or the leafy? I have a leafy suit now and the only real advantage I see to it is that I can wear whatever layers I want under it. Hunting here in Florida, you can walk in at 40° and walk out at 80°.

Thanks,
Allen

g2outdoors

Vendor Rep
Oct 3, 2014
Savannah, GA
FACEBOOK
g2outdoors
TWITTER
g2outdoors
YOUTUBE
G2Adventures
I love the leafy suit. I think you'll find that by hunting out of your Aero, you'll be much better camoflauged than in a traditional stand. I grew up hunting in the Florida Panhandle so I know all about hot weather hunting. The leafy suit should work fine with the saddle.

justsomedude

Sep 10, 2014
Nashville, TN
Leafy for the exact reason you stated.
I don't want to have to pay a premium for everything so I can have the camo pattern I want.

I have an ASAT leafy and I can layer rain/windbreakers/wool sweaters/MilSurp Wool pants...
or T Shirt and Shorts.

NWFLBowhunter

Oct 22, 2014
justsomedude said:
Leafy for the exact reason you stated.
I don't want to have to pay a premium for everything so I can have the camo pattern I want.

I have an ASAT leafy and I can layer rain/windbreakers/wool sweaters/MilSurp Wool pants...
or T Shirt and Shorts.
Yeap that's what I'm planning on as well. Going to order a set when I get out of the tree.

Bigburner

Mar 4, 2014
Delaware
I rock the leafy suit quite often. Bass pro makes a really nice one for cheap and I always go with the realtree max-1. Your saying to yourself. Thats a western camo pattern. Why yes it is. pretty much every other commercial pattern with the exception of Predator, ASAT and Vias, turns into a dark blob at about 40 yards. The open patterns break up your outline way better and works alot better when the leaves come off the trees. JAcket and pants is under $100 and super light wieght. http://www.basspro.com/RedHead-3D-Evolu ... 210311145/

Stykbow1

Vendor Rep
Apr 2, 2014
New Jersey
I just started using a leafy suit this year my buddy and his nephew that I've been hunting with have used them from the start and when they sit on stand you can see how the rough edges blend with the other 3D cover. One thing that I also noticed is that depending on what you wear underneath of it can add a tonal shade to the whole camo itself. For example where we hunt it's mostly pines and pines that have been burnt from fires so the predominate colors are brown, black, and green so if you wear black or dark colors underneath the suit the whole tone changes to a darker camo and conversely if you wear tan or light brown it lightens it. I think this is the same reason that ASAT has the yellow in their pattern to pick up and reflect what colors are around it and others open up the pattern with large blotches of lighter color, so you don't turn into that dark blob at 50 yards.

I was hunting in a hedgerow between a crop field and a fallow field wearing a Mossy Oak Scentlok suit which was really dark, which wasn't a problem in the pines, but I stuck out like a sore thumb in that hedgerow. It wasn't until my buddy came out early one evening and saw me up in the stand that I realized just how bad I stuck out he said it was like a six foot black blob was floating in the trees and he was about a 100 yards away. When I came home I looked at all my camo and all of it had lots of dark colors and anything I owned would stick out almost as badly as that Scentlok suit. My buddy bought the ASAT suit and I really like that because it incorporates dark and light colors and from the pictures on the website it really blends in well in almost any situation. The suit I have was a birthday gift and it's in Mossy Oak Break Up and so far the only thing I don't like is I have to wear an arm guard to keep the leaves out of the bow string otherwise I think it's a good addition to my camo collection.

Roger

drew13

Sep 11, 2014
Maine
I got the ASAT leafy suit this year and really like it. I think it just plain old works and is not very expensive. Plus you can wear it over your scent-lok or whatever you want.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NWFLBowhunter

Oct 22, 2014
drew13 said:
I got the ASAT leafy suit this year and really like it. I think it just plain old works and is not very expensive. Plus you can wear it over your scent-lok or whatever you want.

I bought it last week and used it this weekend. My cousin was in a tree 70 yards away and I kept seeing him throw his binos up in my direction. When I climbed down, he said he kept losing me and thought I had climbed down eariler. At least it works on human eyes lol

Mike K

Oct 29, 2014
NJ
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/quote]
I bought it last week and used it this weekend. My cousin was in a tree 70 yards away and I kept seeing him throw his binos up in my direction. When I climbed down, he said he kept losing me and thought I had climbed down eariler. At least it works on human eyes lol[/quote]

I also use the ASAT leafy suit and it amazes me how many birds and squirrels get really close and just look at me trying to figure out what I am. I never had this happen to this extent with other camo patterns. I just wish it was made out of a more durable material.

Stykbow1

Vendor Rep
Apr 2, 2014
New Jersey
Hey Mike those pictures from you in the tree stand looked great you blended in really well and I think if you do what your doing carrying the suit in and then putting it on will go a long way to keeping it from getting torn or ripped by briars or branches. I think ASAT makes a great all around camo pattern and works well in most places where some of the darker patterns really blob up the further you get away from them.

Roger

drew13

Sep 11, 2014
Maine
Do any of you guys wear your leafy suit OVER your saddle or aero hunter? Just curious if it would work or if any mods needed.... Would be nice to maximize the amount of leafy suit that was showing.

Thanks,
Drew

Nov 5, 2014
NC
I wear an ASAT leafy suit every time I go out...When I wear the suit, I wear the saddle over it. Now that it's a tad chillier, I wear a warm shell overgarment I made over the treesaddle. I was able to find some bulk ASAT fabric (the exact stuff they make the suit out of) from Rockywoods.com, but they haven't had the fabric for quite some time. I made covered the overgarment with the ASAT fabric. I absolutely love the pattern. It blends no matter where I am! I've had my hunting buddy take pics of me in the saddle in the tree 20 feet up. It's impressive stuff!