• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

leaners and knee pads

I do on long sits. I think leaners that rest put more pressure on the knees that low sitters

I read a bunch of people like to lean against the tree before I got my saddle figured out and ordered some quality pads. Since getting my platform and mantis, I don't even consider leaning against the tree. Which is weird. While hunting from a stand I would sit 90% of the time. With the Mantis I always lean.

I alternate between leaning on my platform and knees against the tree so for comfort knee pads are a must for me.

I find that I'm neither a leaner or a sitter, I like to mix it up. I really don't use the knee pads much while leaning, more when sitting but i always wear them and my knees don't hurt as much as they used to before I started wearing them.

I bought the knee pads and used them a couple of times on larger trees. If I sit to take a break on smaller trees (basketball size or smaller), it is balls to bark.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Knees against the tree...... Next innovation to come out in saddle hunting. Someone will come up with a brilliant idea soon... I’m sure.

I lean and sit low, especially on long sits. So I use knee pads

Knees against the tree...... Next innovation to come out in saddle hunting. Someone will come up with a brilliant idea soon... I’m sure.

I lean and sit low, especially on long sits. So I use knee pads

Small carbon fiber preacher's seat with the whale tail thing, that seamlessly integrates with a saddle and doubles as a rigid frame to the STS (saddle transport system). Never beem in a preachers seat but seems more comfortable than needing knee padding.

I'm a leaner/sitter. I lean mostly because to me that feels more hunt ready. But when I sit I'm the most comfortable man in the world....... in in my arcteryx knee pads. Stay comfortable my friends.

I hang my pack in between myself and tree. Just put knees into pack

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Small carbon fiber preacher's seat with the whale tail thing, that seamlessly integrates with a saddle and doubles as a rigid frame to the STS (saddle transport system). Never beem in a preachers seat but seems more comfortable than needing knee padding.

I'm the guy who cant stand sitting on bleachers, no bosun chair for me. Lol

I read a bunch of people like to lean against the tree before I got my saddle figured out and ordered some quality pads. Since getting my platform and mantis, I don't even consider leaning against the tree. Which is weird. While hunting from a stand I would sit 90% of the time. With the Mantis I always lean.

Same. I find myself leaning more often than sitting as well although tree diameter and angle tends to influence that somewhat. Thought for sure I'd sit more often after years of hunting from hang-ons.

If I sit the way I do it so I don't have to use knee pads, which I despise, is that I sit and turn sideways resting my shoulder and hip against the tree. I can usually stay like that for 15 or 20 minutes if I decide to sit at all. I mostly alternating between leaning and completely standing up on my platform.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

I think that whether there is a need for knee pads depends on a few factors.
For short hunts of 4 hours or less, I can get away with just leaning. Its not until I get into the 6th hour that my feet need a break. Which leads to the next factor...what type of platform or foot system is being used? A comfy platform allows me to lean for longer periods that I can on a ROS.
Tree size comes into play, too. I can straddle a small diameter tree for short periods.
Tether height is also a small factor. A high tether is a little more comfortable to sit sideways to the tree. The acute angle of a low tether makes sitting sideways uncomfortable for me.
Sometimes I like my knee pads for just allowing me to comfortably kneel on the ground. It happens to all of us from time to time...we are walking and see deer approach before they see us. Getting down on our knees, butts, or even laying helps us from being busted.

Back