• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Leaning trees

Jimmy Wallhanger

Hate leaning trees in my saddle.

Anyone got some tips? I found myself using my beast stand mostly last season and in a leaning tree I just set it up so my back leans with the tree and its comfy.

Sent from my SM-G986W using Tapatalk

Saddle platform, you have two basic options in my experience.

One, you can hunt the topside, and have full access to your platform, but fight gravity anytime you weight your tether and do saddle things.

Two, you can hunt the downside and accept that you are gravity's biotch, but you can't stand on your platform to do the whole pivot maneuver thing.

Whichever flavor you choose, the tree is still telling you which direction to orient yourself which is a whole other issue that usually ends up with a crick in my neck and constant annoyance.

I'm not an ROS guy but I would say if you are committed to maintaining saddle community purity standards, the dilemma is less because negating the point of a platform isn't a factor, opening up your positioning options more.

Saddle platform, you have two basic options in my experience.

One, you can hunt the topside, and have full access to your platform, but fight gravity anytime you weight your tether and do saddle things.

Two, you can hunt the downside and accept that you are gravity's biotch, but you can't stand on your platform to do the whole pivot maneuver thing.

Whichever flavor you choose, the tree is still telling you which direction to orient yourself which is a whole other issue that usually ends up with a crick in my neck and constant annoyance.

I'm not an ROS guy but I would say if you are committed to maintaining saddle community purity standards, the dilemma is less because negating the point of a platform isn't a factor, opening up your positioning options more.
Thanks for the reply.

Yeah, it honestly upsets me when I have my saddle and see a good leaning tree.

I can get my stand in any tree I can get my predator into.

I'm contemplating using preset bolts for my saddle this upcomming season.

I hunt a lot of marsh edges, so I hunt a lot of leaning trees. As you hunt more leaners, you develop better muscles and co-ordination to deal with them. Leaners still suck, but practice makes hunting them easier.

I practice in a variety of less than ideal trees in my yard; I spend the most time in the oddball leaners. For me it’s less about tricks to overcome the lean and more about knowing what to expect so that I can navigate the tree smoothly when it matters. I like a ring of steps in a leaner so that I can walk my way around the tree and use my leg strength and thigh contact to control movement.

Anyone got some tips? I found myself using my beast stand mostly last season and in a leaning tree I just set it up so my back leans with the tree and its comfy.

NY Saddlehunter also has a video on how to use your linesmen’s belt to offset gravity pull for the scenario you mention. Good luck!

I use an additional tether/lineman's belt (one of the reasons that my LB is setup the same as my tether) as a redirect for additional stability. I find that this is especially helpful when rope climbing if you hunt off your climbing/rappel rope. @LtMoe66 is correct, NY Saddlehunter has a video describing the use of this, but stuff doesn't have to be limited just to what you've seen lol. Keep it safe!

If it is a slight leaner I set up on downside, on moderate leaner I setup on upside and stand on the platform (making at least a predator sized platform required), on hard leaners I just find another tree.

I like leaners especially w/ a stand. I use stands and saddles. If the lean is away from where I expect to see deer, I use a LW and have a step on each side sort of like a ring of steps. I just lean w/ my back into the tree. I hardly ever sit. I try not to ever face the tree in that situation. Deer will come from "behind" you. 2 season's ago I was in that exact situation in a saddle and was watching a bunch of deer in the distance instead of paying attention to the primary area that I expected to see deer within bow range. a doe came in from behind me and busted me. A big old buck was right behind her. I was tagged out on my buck so it wasn't the end of the world but it would've cost me if I wasn't. Lesson learned. Never put your back to your primary kill zone. If the tree leans towards the primary area then I just use my platform and have a ring of spikes on each side of the platform. I haven't done it yet but the 2 tether idea seems like it would give you mor control over gravity especially on leaners.

I love pre-sets. As the ring of bolts go around the tree, increase the height slightly with each one. Use smaller increments to avoid harsh movements. Try to avoid using the low side. Install a bolt on each side high enough to use as a handle to get back up if you have to shoot from low side. Look into 2 tethers.

I love pre-sets. As the ring of bolts go around the tree, increase the height slightly with each one. Use smaller increments to avoid harsh movements. Try to avoid using the low side. Install a bolt on each side high enough to use as a handle to get back up if you have to shoot from low side. Look into 2 tethers.
Problem is most guys are on public where that’s not an option as far as bolts.

Problem is most guys are on public where that’s not an option as far as bolts.
I prefer a platform but often carry a few squirell
Steps. They can be used just as effectively as the bolts at hunting height.

Back