• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Learn from my dumb mistakes :)

justsomedude

Opening day. High of 90. I was able to get out for a quick evening hunt. No scouting, but a property I know pretty well.

I quickly sharpened THREE BROADHEADS and packed up and left (you know where this is going).

I picked a spot where three major trails converge and lead to an opening to pastures. There's always scrapes and rubs lining these trails. Lots of Oaks and persimmon...and only a couple hundred yards from the car. The wind was blowing southwest. Perfect
IMG_2960.JPG
The best tree for cover and position was LEANING. And it was a slick large bark mature Persimmon. It was perfect for the wind direction and averaged 15-30 yards from each trail and had good cover from 15-20' with a few shooting lanes. I decided to deal with it.

I did an aider only climb. Was set up in about 10 minutes. My Platform strap was clearly not going to like this bark! I set up about a foot higher than I needed it.
IMG_2961.JPG
I set up on the low side of the lean with the knot on the high side. My platform was slipping if I walked around the tree. Bummer.

At 5:00 I heard a lot of rustling leaves and could tell it wasn't squirrels. I got my bow in hand (recurve bow was hanging on the stopper knot and a grayling arrow holder on the arrow).

It was TURKEYS. 10 of them or so. They were a little far out and lots of obstructions. I think Turkey make deer feel safe, so I decided to let them 'decoy' for me.

Then I decided to practice getin in shooting position with the Kestrel. I moved around the tree and they hadn't seen me. I got a clean shot at a male at about 25 yards uphill (didn't Range it). I drew and held until it was looking away.
Arrow hit RIGHT at his feet and he jumped. They still hadn't seen me...went back to scratching.

About 20 minutes later, they had circled around to the other side and were approaching a shooting lane that was a little farther out. At the last second they went slightly farther out and walked into the clearing. I decided i might as well shoot....AGAIN right at his feet. I later found out that was 35 yards and not 30.

Then it started to rain. My platform was pretty low and I decided i needed to tighten it up.

I climbed down the Aider to work on it and knocked my arrow off the rest! Last arrow... it was 6:00 and sunset was at 6:45. I decided to bail...climbed down and packed up.

But at least I got to miss twice on opening day!

Always have to work out the early season bugs on the first few days! :)

Opening day. High of 90. I was able to get out for a quick evening hunt. No scouting, but a property I know pretty well.

I quickly sharpened THREE BROADHEADS and packed up and left (you know where this is going).

I picked a spot where three major trails converge and lead to an opening to pastures. There's always scrapes and rubs lining these trails. Lots of Oaks and persimmon...and only a couple hundred yards from the car. The wind was blowing southwest. Perfect
View attachment 2712
The best tree for cover and position was LEANING. And it was a slick large bark mature Persimmon. It was perfect for the wind direction and averaged 15-30 yards from each trail and had good cover from 15-20' with a few shooting lanes. I decided to deal with it.

I did an aider only climb. Was set up in about 10 minutes. My Platform strap was clearly not going to like this bark! I set up about a foot higher than I needed it.
View attachment 2716
I set up on the low side of the lean with the knot on the high side. My platform was slipping if I walked around the tree. Bummer.

At 5:00 I heard a lot of rustling leaves and could tell it wasn't squirrels. I got my bow in hand (recurve bow was hanging on the stopper knot and a grayling arrow holder on the arrow).

It was TURKEYS. 10 of them or so. They were a little far out and lots of obstructions. I think Turkey make deer feel safe, so I decided to let them 'decoy' for me.

Then I decided to practice getin in shooting position with the Kestrel. I moved around the tree and they hadn't seen me. I got a clean shot at a male at about 25 yards uphill (didn't Range it). I drew and held until it was looking away.
Arrow hit RIGHT at his feet and he jumped. They still hadn't seen me...went back to scratching.

About 20 minutes later, they had circled around to the other side and were approaching a shooting lane that was a little farther out. At the last second they went slightly farther out and walked into the clearing. I decided i might as well shoot....AGAIN right at his feet. I later found out that was 35 yards and not 30.

Then it started to rain. My platform was pretty low and I decided i needed to tighten it up.

I climbed down the Aider to work on it and knocked my arrow off the rest! Last arrow... it was 6:00 and sunset was at 6:45. I decided to bail...climbed down and packed up.

But at least I got to miss twice on opening day!

Sounds like a fun day anyway. Great story of your day. Lots of details. Ninety today here. Record highs cannot wait for our opener Oct 1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Sounds like a great hunt! Wish I was confident out that far! My max on a good day for practice with a longbow is 25. My confident hunting range is 15. Glad you are on my team! Just check trail cams as our season opens next weekend and we have a spike and a couple of 9 pointers hanging around and (2) 8 pointers! One of them has some white patches on his right hind quarter. Not a big rack and probably only 2.5 yrs old but fun to watch.

You know...if I had the grappling hook...nah. Just more arrows!

Gettin closer,
With this setup, I am confident to 30-35 but I have to know the yardage. I should have taken the time to range it

I hit squirrels at 30 this spring. But I was on the ground and fairly level ground.

Justsomedude

Damn, you have a knack for writing as you explain things very well. Love the cedar arrow on the bench and mistakes are part of what keeps us coming back. We're always searching for that perfect hunt where everything we do is right!!

Thank you sir! I have your books and DVD's and have gleaned a lot from your writing.
I just think it is funny how you can do a bunch of things correctly, and then blow it.
Other times, you can do a bunch of things completely wrong and succeed (although THAT would be the exception and not the rule)

Back