• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

...learning lessons about deer and weather!

MaxJac

Mar 13, 2019
Sandhills, NC
I took the dog out to our usual spot down in the woods with open field, pond and a dam. With the time change, we're making it out there just around first light. Since Sunday, I have seen deer every morning, which was not the case since January.

To the point today: I have heard so many "old and experienced" hunters telling me to stay home when it is windy and/or raining. This is actually the second time I have seen the group of deer being out in the open field during wet, cold and windy weather. Major/Minor feeding period was spot on only once (50%).

So, I'd say: a lesson learned. Happy to share. Does anybody has made similar observations?

Topdog

SH Member
Jun 5, 2020
Nasty days are my favorite, I still hunt a lot with a rifle and have killed almost all of my better bucks mid day, raining, snowing, and windy days. I hate hunting nice weather days. Just like we can sneak better I think more mature deer know that as well.

Reactions: MaxJac

rhagenw

SH Member
May 4, 2020
Don’t trust the weather man when it comes to wind predictions...
Terrain, tree canopy/openings, and water and thermals will have a greater effect...I have a spot on a river bottom with a small oak ridge on one side and it can be a south wind prediction but it will be blowing s/w and a west wind causes swirling going back to the east...tricky

will4554

Oct 29, 2018
There are not a lot of absolutes with whitetails. I don't pay much attention to the weather. I go when I get a chance and I'll make whatever adjustments I need to. But not hunting because of the weather is silly imo.

Reactions: MaxJac