• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Leg straps on saddles......

Buckhorn70

SH Member
Nov 28, 2014
Who finds them useless....if so how?

I have been in a saddle since 2008 (started with a original Trophyline Ambush that I cut the leg straps off) and find them totally useless.

Reactions: swampdonkey

Robert loper

SH Member
Sep 19, 2017
NJ
YOUTUBE
TheBuckPsych
Annoying and useless im getting ready to cut mine off

elk yinzer

SH Member
Oct 23, 2017
State College, PA
I like to tighten them up for walking with my saddle and for that reason I wouldn't consider cutting mine off. I did change out the rated buckles for G-hooks.

In a tree they are loose and I could probably do without them, but I do feel they provide a little extra peace of mind for the off-label uses (potentially falling with a little bit of slack in the system).

Reactions: Dcdeerhunter

Sgt. Beardface

SH Member
Oct 26, 2019
D over Delaware
They're really just for safety. Without them, theoretically you could fall through the saddle. If that did happen, you'd most likely catch your armpits and need to change your drawers.

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk
I think they are for an illusion of safety. With the waist belt no one is falling through their saddle. I still put mine in place, but only because I can’t bring myself to cut em off. But they are not tight in any sense of the word. They are just there.

Also, I may be wrong, but pretty Sure they are not rated to arrest a fall.

sliberato77

Nov 6, 2018
Schuylkill Co PA
www.instagram.com
I think they are for an illusion of safety. With the waist belt no one is falling through their saddle. I still put mine in place, but only because I can’t bring myself to cut em off. But they are not tight in any sense of the word. They are just there.

Also, I may be wrong, but pretty Sure they are not rated to arrest a fall.
Good point. My Mantis waist belt never stays tight so I did a war belt mod.

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk

Jwiggins762

Jun 13, 2019
I cut mine off of my flex. Most of the time I wear my saddle in and one stick and rappel, no issues so far. I hate leg straps.

Reactions: Jay_Disarray

Aeds151

Aug 16, 2018
I can not wear them in. I feel like a hobbled horse. The Mantis was awful for this compared to flex but still not comfortable to wear in. I do use them when I climb. I feel more comfortable when I set back to advance my 1 stick. I then loosen them for the hunt. I did roll up and zip tie the tag ends due to the stock “retainer” strap failing to do its job about %70 of the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jay_Disarray

SH Member
Oct 7, 2019
MN
I 1stick and rappel, but I cut my leg straps off, and have never regretted it. 95% of saddles they are not rated, and provide an illusion of safety imo

Reactions: Jwiggins762

raisins

SH Member
Jan 17, 2019
If the saddle rode up/you slipped through it, your gonna hate a waste belt snugged under your ribs as your hanging there. People complain about them, but I have them on my rch and its really easy to clip them on and no issues walking with them.

With a bunch of layers on and the belt not real tight, it could easily get over your ribs....which could be really bad (if you know how pythons get their prey). The leg straps have never been a major annoyance to me. My saddle has a tendency to ride up, so the leg straps help keep it in place.

swampdonkey

May 25, 2019
Wisconsin
If the saddle rode up/you slipped through it, your gonna hate a waste belt snugged under your ribs as your hanging there. People complain about them, but I have them on my rch and its really easy to clip them on and no issues walking with them.

I sometimes purposely put my saddle way up around my ribs and under my arm pits on long sits as i have trouble with sciatica and saddles can irritate it.

It’s pretty comfortable actually,no joke.