• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Leg straps

MettBriler

Jul 14, 2019
Middle TN
It's more of a preference thing, it is not truly needed for safety, although I crank mine down for the walk in and climb then loosen them up once I'm tethered in. It seems most guys cut them off or don't use them and they aren't truly necessary for safety

Phopkins

SH Member
Dec 8, 2018
Metamora, IL
The leg straps on my Kestrel have never bothered me. It's true if you fell you wouldn't fall out as your arms would catch you but I shudder to think of the saddle sliding that far before catching.
Maybe Kurt will chime in, he had an issue trying to get a shot off on a buck when the saddle rode way up causing a difficult shot that he almost didn't get off.
I'm not going to cut my leg straps off.

Westdesign03

SH Member
Nov 3, 2019
Ohio
I’m certainly not cutting my leg straps off either. I had the option of ordering my saddle with or without straps and opted for the straps. Though I’m getting used to the normal hunting height, I’m still not a fan of heights in general and the leg straps make me feel a lot better. They’re a necessity in my mind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

robstewart

Feb 4, 2019
I use a rock climbing harness and the leg strap is where I have attached a prusik loop to act as a backup when rappelling. I imagine if you are a rappeller and buying a saddle this would also apply.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk