• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Length of time climbing method is left on site

Robert

I use the WE Stepp system and was wondering how long guys leave the Stepps on a tree at a time with the standard rope.

For other systems, how long is normal to leave them on a tree?

I never leave my stuff out since I rarely hunt the same tree twice. But u think the steps would be fine for a good while. The ropes they use are very rot-resistant.

I pull everything after each hunt and occasionally I may leave it over night if I'm positive I will hunt it the next morning.

I left wild edge steps on a tree from august to april and they were fine. Only thing was the rope had a kink in it from where the knot was. Not really a problem.

Maybe a day or two. I agree with the steps and other rot resistant ropes.

As far as straps I am cautious. Ladder stands that were left out, the straps were changed out yearly and all bolts and equipment were inspected and replaced if needed.

I leave them on the tree if I know I'm going back the next morning or next hunt. I typically stay mobile so they never stay on the tree or exposed to the elements for extended lengths of time. I've got lock ons and ladder stands that have been in the woods for years, I inspect and change straps every year, but I've found I don't hunt them hardly anymore. I transitioned to the LW handclimber and LW stand/sticks which were way better than the cheap stands and were more mobile hunter friendly, but since discovering saddle hunting I don't see myself ever going back to my LW's just can't stomach selling them yet!

The ropes hold up to the elements well, and also, rats/squirrels don't like it for some reason. A whole bunch of people have left these on a tree and hunted them all season since Mr. Jim came out with them. I've seen the same material (different braid) rope used in some rough applications being exposed to salt and sun all day every day getting soaked then cranked on metal spools. Our application of being on a tree for 4 months is just fine. The thing that keeps me from doing it is my mobile hunting style, and my aversion to unnecessary risk - if it is going to break, I'm not going to know until it breaks. I'd rather "check" a rope by camming it over every time. Personal experience - I've left stepps on a tree for 2 months - ropes were just fine. I actually have some out I forgot to pull at end of season (January). I'll see them in the next few weeks to get a status update. Hoping the whole setup isn't grown into the tree!

I'm trying out the notch dryad this season, but I have the stock ropes on a set of stepps on standby just in case it isn't for me.

Is there a good place to buy rot resistant straps to replace the straps on treestands / climbing sticks?

As far as straps I am cautious. Ladder stands that were left out, the straps were changed out yearly and all bolts and equipment were inspected and replaced if needed.

You are way more responsible than I ever was. I have some death traps out there!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Being a big guy from a big family and having a Dad who was overly cautious then having a twin brother @lsr1456 who is a nationally recognized OSHA teacher and having fallen I treat everything like I could fall. Not paranoid but I never want people to go through what I went through.

Back