• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

lessons learned from dry-run

beej32

I ran out to a nearby WMA over the weekend to dry-run a mobile hunt. Other than not wearing hunting clothes and not carrying my bow, I pretty much had everything I'd have for an actual hunt. I've always hunted solely on preset stands on private land, so I have no experience at all with mobile setups. I wanted to write this up for folks like me who are new to this. For the most part, I was trying to be as stealthy and quiet as possible, especially with the setup/teardown process and maneuvering in the tree.

TL;DR: I decided to remove excess "stuff" attached to Kestrel. This reinforced the amount of time/focus is required to ascend/descend safely and quietly. Bullman ring of steps really does need to be cinched down REALLY tight. Taking a leak is awkward. Probably best not to anchor on the high side of a leaning tree (likely related to mentions above about the bullman steps and peeing). Uncertain about necessity of knee pads. Repetition is needed. Practice in the dark is needed. Saddle hunting is a game changer.

Now more details...

The gear I had was:
-Kestrel kit, mostly stock but with a webbing bridge and a diy rope tender + prusik on the lineman's belt and 12' tether.
-rangefinder case hooked to the waste strap on the kestrel, used as an easy-access general accessory case.
-Summit bow hoist, attached to back of kestrel
-mesh pouch (very similar to sys hauler) tied to lineman's loop, used to hold tether
-modified API hunt'n sticks (cam buckles silenced with bike tire tube) with 2-step movable aider
-bullman ring of steps
-tenzing 1140 sling pack
-550 paracord gear strap, using 9-biner and various hooks/clips, including heroclip that I'd use for my bow

I also threw in some other accessories, like some heavy binos (would never use for hunting) and thermacell. In total, the full set of gear was right at 25 pounds.

I walked in just shy of a mile, and it's some work hauling that much weight/gear. I cinched the kestrel weight strap very tight, and it was pretty uncomfortable with all the extra weight on there. So, I'm in agreement with guys that don't like a lot of extras directly on the saddle. I wound up removing the bow hoist and rangefinder case, so those will be on my pack next time.

I used my aider as a shoulder strap to carry the sticks and that worked well, On the other side, I hooked the bullman ring of steps near the wasteband of my pack using a small nite-ize tie, and it worked fairly well. It wore comfortably, but there was a little more rattling than I'd like- very soft and infrequent the way i had those bundled and tied, but still something I plan to address somehow.

Climbing the tree was the most enlightening part of the exercise. The big takeaway was how much time and concentration it can take to do it safely and quietly. After setting my first stick from the ground, I hooked my other two sticks to each hip, which I believe was inspired by boudreaux's or bowhunter15's videos. Doing that was noisy as a climbed, though I'm nearly certain it's because the steps were hitting my bow hoist. I need to try again with the hoist removed, to confirm that the sticks weren't actually hitting each other. I also discovered the step spacing was too much on my aider, despite the fact I thought I was pretty conservative when I originally made it.

I liked using the lineman's belt with the prusik and tender, though it did bind heavily a couple times. Because of that, I've since removed a wrap on the prusik (now using 3 wraps instead of 4). I'll see what difference that makes next time.

Once I got to height (didn't push it- about 15 ft.), initially setting the bullman steps without making much noise was pretty easy, just by holding the catches on the ratchet strap. But I found out pretty quickly why everyone emphasizes how tight you need to get the strap, because the steps rotated pretty significantly. I strongly believe much of this was due to setting them on a leaning tree and some of it may be that the strap needed to stretch a bit. But, I did have to climb down a bit to tighten the strap, this time using most of my strength and making no attempt to keep the ratchet quiet.

Other than issues with the steps, this reiterated my initial impressions from prior practice sits. The ability to move around the tree is amazing. I'm definitely a sitter and not a leaner, and I liked my webbing bridge to save bulk and weight from the stock bridge (think it's around 28"). I never felt unsafe, though i'm not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing. This was also my first time using the gear strap and heroclip. I'll just say I'm a huge fan of that setup.

I'd guess the diameter of the tree at that height was a little over 5 feet, and I couldn't go much bigger if I'm using the strap that came with the ring of steps. And if that's the case, I don't see a need for knee pads. People seem to say those are necessary for a sitter. But I was generally straddling the tree, and couldn't envision a case where I'd be comfortable with my knees on the tree, whether I had knee pads or not. I may be completely wrong in that assessment though, especially once I spend more time in the tree (hung for maybe an hour during this outing).

One mistake I believe I made was having my tether on the high side of the slightly-leaning tree I was in. The pull of gravity added some challenges when I tried moving to the other side of the tree. I also really had to battle that while taking a leak.

I found packing up and climbing down easier than going up, likely mainly because the system was fresher on my mind. Again, the most difficult part stemmed from the step spacing on my aider. Otherwise, it was relatively quick and easy while keeping quiet. I need to figure out a good option for silencing my sticks as I stack/unstack them, but even doing nothing, it's not too hard to keep quiet as long as I go slow.

But in general, I'm extremely glad I took the time to do this now. I definitely need to repeat it at least 2-3 more times before our season starts Oct. 1, and especially need to do it in the dark. I think the key will be having a solid, familiar, fully repeatable system in order to do it well.

I can't stress enough how important practice runs like this are. This is part of the learning curve with saddle/mobile hunting and it does take some practice to figure out exactly how to pack/carry/setup different items efficiently. Keep at it and you'll have a system in place and be able to do it quickly and quietly.

I'd prefer NT offer a button flap option for the rear of the saddle - Kind of like the old school onesie pajamas...

On second thought, I'd like them to offer a onesie, with webbing and bridge loops/linemans loops so I can just wear that to bed then walk to tree.

Looks like a late night at the sewing machine for me coming up with a prototype...

Wrap them from the top down that way if they get wet the water will shed down and not under the tape

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How do you like those api sticks? I was eyeing them up from cabelas since I have some cabelas bucks to burn. It’s either those or some hawk heliums.

Also great on you for doing the dry run. Couple of things I would add...

Some guys like climbing trees more than they like hunting. Not everything you read on here is practical for most hunting situations in regards to climbing.

I set one stick at a time going up to set the stick then back down to get another and back up. Yeah, maybe it takes just a little bit longer, but I’m not in a race to get up the tree the fastest. This way there is no chance of sticks banging and I can take my time with my setup.

I also don’t like hanging a bunch of junk off my saddle. It causes it to sag too much. I usually attach/out gear in it at the tree.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

How do you like those api sticks? I was eyeing them up from cabelas since I have some cabelas bucks to burn. It’s either those or some hawk heliums.

Some guys like climbing trees more than they like hunting. Not everything you read on here is practical for most hunting situations in regards to climbing.

I set one stick at a time going up to set the stick then back down to get another and back up. Yeah, maybe it takes just a little bit longer, but I’m not in a race to get up the tree the fastest. This way there is no chance of sticks banging and I can take my time with my setup.

Great point on reconsidering the approach with the sticks- thanks. That should've been an obvious alternative, but it's easy to get caught up following others...

For the API sticks, I like them but don't really have anything to compare against. I've never had my hands on heliums, muddy pros, or lone wolfs. Was really easy to cut the APIs to a shorter length though, and their steps and standoffs seem to be popular styles. I'm halfway considering getting a second set, if for no other reason than to get 6 standoffs and 9 steps for $100. Compared to the pricing of other options for getting steps or standoffs, this seems to make a ton of sense.

Great point on reconsidering the approach with the sticks- thanks. That should've been an obvious alternative, but it's easy to get caught up following others...

For the API sticks, I like them but don't really have anything to compare against. I've never had my hands on heliums, muddy pros, or lone wolfs. Was really easy to cut the APIs to a shorter length though, and their steps and standoffs seem to be popular styles. I'm halfway considering getting a second set, if for no other reason than to get 6 standoffs and 9 steps for $100. Compared to the pricing of other options for getting steps or standoffs, this seems to make a ton of sense.
Not sure about the sticks you are running, but I've been using some Lone Wolfs for several years now. I nest them together, then clip them. I have a shoulder strap that connects to the bottom (last) stick, then I go up with all 4.

Not sure about the sticks you are running, but I've been using some Lone Wolfs for several years now. I nest them together, then clip them. I have a shoulder strap that connects to the bottom (last) stick, then I go up with all 4.

Another great suggestion, thanks. Next time, I'll likely try an approach like that first. I run a nite-ize tie around the stack of 3 sticks during transport, and I'll just reuse that around the remaining 2 sticks after setting the first. I like the idea of minimizing trips up and down, but that's the fallback if I can't do this easily and quietly.

I connect the bridge to my saddle and wear it up on my shoulders to keep the kestral up when walking in. Kind of like suspenders, plus it stops one more rope from possibly getting tangled on brush.

Another great suggestion, thanks. Next time, I'll likely try an approach like that first. I run a nite-ize tie around the stack of 3 sticks during transport, and I'll just reuse that around the remaining 2 sticks after setting the first. I like the idea of minimizing trips up and down, but that's the fallback if I can't do this easily and quietly.
I'm all about minimizing myself, but in the past I have found I need 2 trips. The first was to hang the sticks, stand (or in this case now, ring of steps) and tree tether. Then I go down the tree and get dressed for the hunt. I usually wear as little as possible in and the first trip up to TRY to prevent getting sweaty. I sweat alot, even when it's cool or cold, don't want my base layer I am sitting in to get damp. Then I go back up the tree and set up and hunt.

Can you post a photo of your sticks and how they clip together?

I also don’t like hanging a bunch of junk off my saddle. It causes it to sag too much. I usually attach/out gear in it at the tree.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I’ve got the API sticks as well. They are simple and sturdy, they just don’t pack down as well becuase they dont have folding steps. Pretty light too

Back