• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Let's talk about Bloodglow experiences.

I have it.
I have not needed it to locate a deer but we have laid down artificial trails to familiarize ourselves with the learning curve.
Luminol finds blood. Period.
If microscopic blood is present it will reveal it. If blood has been rained out, it will reveal it.
Our test trails proved to me without a doubt that luminol will reveal blood that is not visible to the naked eye. Even after a non visible trail received over a half inch of rain, luminol revealed where the blood was.
There is a learning curve and it obviously cannot reveal blood if the deer is not bleeding externally.
Its not a substitute for ethical shots with quality broadheads and solid blood trailing skills.
But stuff happens. If blood that was not visible was present, it will reveal it.
But you have to know how to properly use it. Use the correct liquid for mixing. Windshield washer fluid works best. Some well water won't work.
There are 2 tablets that you dissolve...the luminol (which does not have a limited shelf life) and the activator tablet which DOES have a shelf life. Its easy to determine an expired activator tablet because it crumbles easily. A good tablet will still be solid and firm. In the event you have old activator tablets, you can add hydrogen peroxide to the mix and it still works. We've found that you will need to mix it stronger when peroxide is used but it still worked well.
Luminol is not a gimmick. Law enforcement uses it in forensic investigations.

I used it 2 weeks ago. It does work. Other things can make it glow besides blood, which could throw you off. Once you find your last blood, 12 ounces goes pretty fast. I can see how it might save the day, but it is not the magic wand I was hoping for. I did not recover the wife's doe, but I would gladly give the luminol another try.

Back