• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Lets Talk Amsteel

Tom Karrow

Ok, I need some help here from those that know far more than me.

I have not used Amsteel. I have a kestral with a stock bridge, tether and LMB. These are heavy with carabiners, and ropemans!

How much lighter is amsteel than this sort of line in a comparable breaking strength?

How well do knots work on Amsteel?

Will the same knots work? - Figure 8 etc.?

How does Amsteel compare in cost?

Where can Amsteel be purchased?

What downfalls are there in switching to Amsteel if I decide to switch?

Thanks!
Tom

They don’t recommend any knots on Amsteel, splice it.
I would only use it for my bridge.
I want to use 9mm sterling htp for everything else.
The strength to weight is crazy, it’s so, so light weight.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I am 280 lbs. I have no worries using it as my bridge. I inspect every time. As previously said I would not use it as a lanyard for a tether or linesman. But as a bridge it works well

I am 280 lbs. I have no worries using it as my bridge. I inspect every time. As previously said I would not use it as a lanyard for a tether or linesman. But as a bridge it works well
Why not use it as a teather or linesman?

Why not use it as a teather or linesman?

So I just tried this. Bought 7/16 amsteel simply for its diameter to try to fill the throat of the ropeman. If I squeeze the ropeman, it will grab the amsteel, but it flattens the rope and the look of the rope after you move the ropeman gives me the impression thats not good for it. I may still explore the daisy chain method.

So I just tried this. Bought 7/16 amsteel simply for its diameter to try to fill the throat of the ropeman. If I squeeze the ropeman, it will grab the amsteel, but it flattens the rope and the look of the rope after you move the ropeman gives me the impression thats not good for it. I may still explore the daisy chain method.
I think the only end solution would be a Whoopi’s sling.

Do not use Amsteel with a ropeman

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

I think the only end solution would be a Whoopi’s sling.
I was already considering making a fixed 1/4" amsteel tether for my preacher seat since I do not adjust the height on it once in position. I would just move the placement up or down on the tree to get it right when I first dit down. Your idea if a whoopi would work for my fleece saddle by keeping the whoopi loop on the end connected to the bridge biner and allow for adjustments. Will have to test this out over the winter, would love to lose the weight if the tether rope!

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Disclaimer: I'm still new but I really enjoy having amsteel as a bridge. It's all I've ever used.

My favorite part about it is how smooth it slides across my carabiner while I'm pivoting in the tree. The ability to make small movements quietly and easily has been a game changer for me. I really dont know why I'd switch from amsteel. The spliced loops are super nice. I know there are people that like adjustable bridges but having a fixed bridge with no knots is awesome.

Disclaimer: I'm still new but I really enjoy having amsteel as a bridge. It's all I've ever used.

My favorite part about it is how smooth it slides across my carabiner while I'm pivoting in the tree. The ability to make small movements quietly and easily has been a game changer for me. I really dont know why I'd switch from amsteel. The spliced loops are super nice. I know there are people that like adjustable bridges but having a fixed bridge with no knots is awesome.

I use a amsteel whoopie bridge which makes it adjustable and no knots.

I've got some on order. That's what I didn't like about my new Kestrel is the big knots on the bridge.

Not to hijack but I will pose this question here as you can learn as well. I have an amsteel fixed bridge. One side is spliced the way G2 shows us on youtube. My otherside I did not lock stitch. Instead, I just spliced it by running it back and forth through itself several times before a 10” bury. Is this safe?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

how long a piece would you need to build a 36 ' bridge if you put a loop on each end and lockstiching one side?

Well Samson recommends a certain length of bury for each diameter rope. Im not sure many of us are following that. I think I bury about 6" on 1/4" and havent seen any slipping. When you bury it greatly shortens the rope, so you would just have to experiment. I havent done it enough to have a formula for you, but know that if you lay out a cheap piece of rope and bend it and tape it up to give you 36" with 6" bury, it wont be 36" in amsteel when your done. Id plan on targeting 38" and see if that comes in at 36 when all said and done. Remember amsteel is easy to work with, you could take it apart and redo it till you get what you want.

Back