• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Lets talk hip boots!

Thill

Most of my spots require hip boots to either cross a stream or use a creek for access. Last year I packed boots on most hunts so once I'm across or through the water, I swap out the hippers for boots. I've been using some super cheap hippers from dunham's with zero support or installation. I would love to find a pair that is comfortable, warm and quiet so I didn't have to pack in boots.
Anyone have a pair they would recommend for using IN the saddle and isn't bulky for climbing?

Appreciate any suggestions!

I wear hip boots more than tennis shoes. Between work, hunting, and crawfishing I put miles on a pair. I will say this, none are great for keeping your feet warm. It’s the nature of the boot that makes your feet sweat and then in turn makes them freeze.

I’m a firm believer in lacrosse ankle tight boots, if you don’t have ankle tights you’ll step right out of them in the first patch of gumbo mud you come across.

Most of my spots require hip boots to either cross a stream or use a creek for access. Last year I packed boots on most hunts so once I'm across or through the water, I swap out the hippers for boots. I've been using some super cheap hippers from dunham's with zero support or installation. I would love to find a pair that is comfortable, warm and quiet so I didn't have to pack in boots.
Anyone have a pair they would recommend for using IN the saddle and isn't bulky for climbing?

Appreciate any suggestions!
Have you tried climbing in hip boots? I use them for the entire hunt in the swamp. They arent quiet. They do limit your flexibility. So consider that with aiders. I wear lacrosse. They are tough as nails. They make an insulated pair also. I dont think i would like hunting out of them if i knew there was dry land. I would keep using them to cross and stash them. Good luck.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

I wear hip boots more than tennis shoes. Between work, hunting, and crawfishing I put miles on a pair. I will say this, none are great for keeping your feet warm. It’s the nature of the boot that makes your feet sweat and then in turn makes them freeze.

I’m a firm believer in lacrosse ankle tight boots, if you don’t have ankle tights you’ll step right out of them in the first patch of gumbo mud you come across.
Firm believer as well. If it aint tight it aint right. And theres that cool yellow line so you know the danger zone. I just wish i paid closer attention to it.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

Muck used to make a similar boot like the Dan's, I loved them, they had to option to roll them down and snap in place if you didn't need the full length and they were the brush busters so you didn't have to worry about briars putting holes in them, still have them

Dans are noisy from what I’m told, I plan to get some with ankle tight lacrosse sewn on but to only use for coon hunting.

They are a bit noisy out of the box but quiet down considerably over time. I wore mine all winter/spring while scouting and they are whisper quiet now. If you are really concerned when new just wear a very thin pair of loose fitting pants over them. It doesn’t take long for them to quiet down. I suspect water and warmer weather will speed it up even more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the input. I'm using some cheapo frogg toggs right now. The deal was once they tore up I'd get new ones. So far they've proved surprisingly resilient.
I just bought a pair of frog toggs at DSG for $25 on torn box deal. Was going with dan's until this fell in my lap today.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

The problem is I only have a 26” inseam.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Honestly the best thing I have found is a pair of jungle boots. Snug fit since they are high ankle boots, and they drain water as soon as the drains are out of the water.

Yeah it won’t work too great in real cold weather, but it sure beats sweating in waterproof boots and hippers. Just food for thought.

I wore mine well into October last year. Add wool socks and really you can go a long time into the season with them. Maybe not below 30-40, but you would be surprised how nice that water feels on a hot day.

Besides that, I use an old pair of rubber lacrosse hip boots and just pack my aeroheads or jungle boots to wear in the stand with a new pair of socks when it’s really cold

Honestly the best thing I have found is a pair of jungle boots. Snug fit since they are high ankle boots, and they drain water as soon as the drains are out of the water.

Yeah it won’t work too great in real cold weather, but it sure beats sweating in waterproof boots and hippers. Just food for thought.

I wore mine well into October last year. Add wool socks and really you can go a long time into the season with them. Maybe not below 30-40, but you would be surprised how nice that water feels on a hot day.

Besides that, I use an old pair of rubber lacrosse hip boots and just pack my aeroheads or jungle boots to wear in the stand with a new pair of socks when it’s really cold

Interesting. You know, the more I hear ideas like this, the trend of working with nature not against it really becomes apparent. Where do I get jungle boots and any recommendation on a pair? dangit...I was just bragging to the girlfriend how little I was having to spend this year....

Back