• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Lets Talk Thermal imaging.

SloMo

I know there was someone who mentioned picking up something I think it was a thermal imager and it was his "best " pick for this year. I just picked up one ( Leupold LTO Quest) . Anyone have anything on this model. It is the same as another mfgs seek thermal. There are no videos on the one I bought or npo good ones. Has anyone tried these ?Seems to me it might be a big help in a lot of what I do.

I want one for finding squirrels I've shot. Boogers are hard to see if they land belly side down!

I don't know how useful it would be for deer hunting. Maybe for fresh blood trails. Mr. Green Jeans doesn't like you using them to look for live critters down here.

Ya I hear you Nutter. My thinking was the walk in ,and walk out in the dark. My night vision is poor . Bonus would be spotting game . If you have a weapon with you I would expect as you said Mr Green Jeans wouldn't like it. What about scouting . Does anyone know if Joe Citizen ( Tree Hugger) can use it to find hunters legally.. I`m an ethical hunter and have no interest in using thermal images to target game. What are your thoughts

I’ve used a different model at work and they have been quite useful for finding people and items that they may have thrown. Now that being said I will never be able to afford one of those units that were bought through a federal grant . Me and the partner have used them in the car for “training” purposes and have been able to spot deer in corn fields from a couple hundred yard away.

Let me know how you like it cause I’ve thought about picking one up for tracking a deer after the shot.

That would work as long as the ambient temp of the blood is greater than the area around it. Fresh blood. Finding a deer down should be pretty easy especially in colder temps though. Body holds warmth longer. I have a call in to a ranger I know to find out the legal end.

Careful with NV or thermal optics. Some states will peg you with night hunting if you have them and a weapon together... regardless of wether or not you were actively using it for that purpose or not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well this is getting interesting . I spoke with Fish and Game officials (2) 2 different offices today and was surprised to get pretty much the same answers from both. Apparently it is legal here in MA as long device is not mounted to a weapon of any kind . I asked about night use and scouting after dark etc. and the answers to all were" hand held thermal devices are legal " as long device is not mounted to a weapon of any kind . I`m stoked.

I have a Seek Thermal that plugs in to my phone and uses the screen on my iPhone. I was impressed with this thing considering it is about the size of a silver dollar. I do most of my hunting afternoons until dark and I wanted something to help me track bears and hogs after the shot and after dark. I did use it locate a 200lb Sow pig this past fall that had bedded down in a steep ravine. My buddy bow shot it right at dark and we could not find a drop of blood. It was one of those pitch black moonless nights and we had given up our search. On our walk back down the logging road to the truck I held the thermal device pointing down into the ravine that we paralleled on our way out and sure enough there was a bright red blob that appeared on my phone screen around 50 yds away.

It definitely has its uses especially if you hunt areas that are not super thick. Where I hunt in the mountains is often times very thick with mountain laurel and other brush so I’m not sure how practical it is overall for my style of hunting.

Last edited:
I have used my flir thermal for two years now. It is a phenomenal tool both in and out the woods. I used to have a hard time tracking a night but now when i do i can scan for the heat dissipating off the animal. Saves time really plus i also use it in stand when im set up 3-4 hours before sunrise. You be suprised to see what walks around.

I tried to pull the trigger on the flir for a few years now. I would like the middle of the road model 640 I think.
I’m afraid as soon as I buy they will come out with a new model.

I also think about a drone with a thermal camera to find bedded bucks...lol. Totally against my ethics...but man what a tool that would be. Especially in the big woods of northern maine. I don’t think I could do...just showing you guys what the devil says while hes on my shoulder.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I used to take thermal pics for my job in a steel mill with a high-end Flir camera. The camera cost many thousands of dollars, but it really was a cool tool. I had the chance to bring it home a few times and play with it. Deer and other critters in my plots were easy to see at long distances.
I did not experiment with it to walk in the woods in the dark, though. I think someone mentioned using a cam for access in the dark. Not sure how well one would work for that application...I have my doubts.

Another useful application would be spotting fields at night. I just swung over to Flir's website and saw they have a new model.

I have the flir scout tk i think it retails around $600. Its not the most expensive unit but works real well.

I just took my two black labs for a walk in the woods .It was total darkness or close. My guys got out on me a bit (75 yds ? ) I could see them moving around and I stopped them. I called them in and every time they stopped I would call them again. They knew something was up pretty quickly. Amazing stuff. even some game trails show up clear as day. Absolutely sold on this technology.

Ya I hear you Nutter. My thinking was the walk in ,and walk out in the dark. My night vision is poor .

Back in my trail cam making days I was pulling the IR filter out of a Sony S40 and I had a brainstorm.....I took the filter out of the lens and put it back in the camera. Mounted an IR array to a battery pack. Walked outside (new moon, pitch black night) fired up the light, turned on the camera and VOILA! Night vision.

Last edited:
I was able to locate roosted birds and a fisher cat behind my house. I wonder what else I`m going to find lol. I`m using a Leupold Quest LTO. 375.00 with five year warranty. Not the best or the most expensive. I like the all in one feature and I can walk in holding it like a cell phone instead of looking through the unit .

Back