• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Let's talk UV: bought a $19 light and made an interesting find

Red Beard

SH Member
DISCLAIMER: The discussion topic below is recognized as a second order effect and assumes you are doing your best to minimize human scent (first order).

With only 7 years under my belt as a hunter, I still consider myself fairly green. However, I can't believe that after years conducting countless hours of hunting related internet searches, and hanging out with other hunters, this is the first year I've ever come across anything having to do with UV brighteners and their effects as it relates to deer vision. At first I thought it was a hoax; perhaps just another rabbit hole where the end goal was for me to open my wallet yet again in the name of percieved stealth. Prior to jumping in 1000% and buying a $32 jug of UV Killer or even changing out all my camo for flannel, I decided to purchase a handheld UV light from Atsko. It arrived yesterday and below are the results. Please note how the white copy paper overlaps the paper plate on the table. It is the recommended method by which you can calibrate your eyes to ensure that you aren't identifying false positives when looking for brighteners.

Screenshot_20200812-130900_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20200812-130905_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20200812-130943_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20200812-130948_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20200812-130851_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20200812-130855_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20200812-130928_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20200812-130922_Gallery.jpg

Needless to say, I was completely blown away by the results. I mean, my DARK grey Carhartt hoodie lit up like it was woven with tracer material... a pair of my lined khaki pants looked like I bleached them... my ghillie top seemed useless with those strips of old leafy-suit hanging off of it... and my First Lite merino might as well have been sprinkled with glitter. And my saddle...? Long sigh.

Guess I'm just baffled that it seems like this isn't being talked about much by anybody (total of 3 "UV" hits when I looked it up here on SH). It certainly isn't new because the studies have been around since the early '90s. Is it a secret that we're not supposed to know about or share with others? Is THIS Fight Club???

I guess I wasn't aware deer could definitively see UV light or even see UV light like we can under the light. Are there scientific articles out there?

I've seen the ads for uv-brightener-free hunting detergent for years. Never have paid it any mind. I have not noticed deer demonstrating any particularly alarming visual acuity provided i was sitting still, quiet,and in a place where they weren't expecting me.

I guess if you've noticed a lot of deer pinpointing your location, it might be worth looking into? Most of my unsuccessful hunts are more due to a lack of deer than the deer seeing me.

Is this the light you used?
That'd be the one Oh Great and Mighty Red, purveyor of all Saddlehunterdom. :D

Sorry. Just love to see you around here again buddy!

Also, the First Lite shirt and Broadside Camo jacket are both brand new. Haven't washed either yet.

Last edited:
One of the podcasts I just listened to had a Dr on there talking about deer senses and he talked about them seeing UV very well because that type of light is abundant at dawn and dusk so it helps them see better then. One thing about the broadside camo type pattern with a lot of white. It’s meant to be viewed up in a tree from the ground. I imagine to a deer the sky is lit up like that at dawn and dusk. So maybe its better to glow like the sky instead of being a large dark blob up in the tree between branches.

I guess I wasn't aware deer could definitively see UV light or even see UV light like we can under the light. Are there scientific articles out there?

This article references one study. There are some more out there that I have read in the past.

Did you wash anything in UV killer and take a pic with it?

I'm also interested in the results of this. I had one particular piece of clothing in the past that every time I wore it I was busted immediately, even if I didn't move. I washed it in UV killing detergent several times and it seemed to fix the problem. Last year I bought a new backpack, the first hunt I had deer come in right before dark. They pegged me instantly from 50 plus yards away. I hadn't moved and had good background cover. From their reaction they clearly saw me and didn't smell me. The only thing I could think was my new backback, which was on the front side of the tree, was 'glowing'. That was my last hunt of the year so I haven't had a chance to use it again since it was washed.

Is this the light you used?

I have never checked my stuff but make sure I don't wash with any UV brighteners.

I’ve got a few fluorescent black lights from my high school days and I’ve used those to look at my stuff. But I’d be curious to take a light like this out into the woods at night to see what all glows like that out in nature.

The articles that got me interested were the snippets on Atsko's site. Among others, they cite a study published in 2003 by Bradley Cohen.

Back