• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

LiDAR Mapping

515Raven

I’ve seen one or two brief posts/articles about this, and I’ve been playing around with CalTopo’s shaded relief/DEM layers, but is there a more comprehensive breakdown out there on LiDAR mapping as a form of e-Scouting? Seems interesting. At least another rabbit hole to get sucked into and try ground- truthing .

I’ve seen one or two brief posts/articles about this, and I’ve been playing around with CalTopo’s shaded relief/DEM layers, but is there a more comprehensive breakdown out there on LiDAR mapping as a form of e-Scouting? Seems interesting. At least another rabbit hole to get sucked into and try ground- truthing .
If referring to the red colored map overlay.
basicly The more red the thicker it is.
i did a video on this about a month ago

Thanks for the links. I’ve used LiDAR and digital elevation models for my occupation in the past, but I was really interested in digging deeper into specifically, identifying benches and bedding areas on more pronounced points than the typical ones you see on topo maps.

I find it very interesting.

Thanks for the links. I’ve used LiDAR and digital elevation models for my occupation in the past, but I was really interested in digging deeper into specifically, identifying benches and bedding areas on more pronounced points than the typical ones you see on topo maps.

I find it very interesting.
lidar data especially 1 ft contours are great for finding travel corridors, deer bedding, the thermal areas.

I've found lidar to be prretty accurate and much better than topo maps are. The GIS data I've compared it to shows the elevation difference between lidar and GIS data points to only be a few feet. It would be a heck of an e-scouting tool man.

I've found lidar to be prretty accurate and much better than topo maps are. The GIS data I've compared it to shows the elevation difference between lidar and GIS data points to only be a few feet. It would be a heck of an e-scouting tool man.

Absolutely. Currently using CalTopos mobile app; just need to improve identifying key terrain features.

Back