• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Light ,quiet aluminum bowhangers anyone can bend

Top 3 Aluminum Alloys For Bending

1. 3003. This would be the best solution for most application. This alloy exhibits medium strength, the best cold workability together with high elongation such as 25% and one of the biggest differences between yield and tensile strength of 14 Ksi (Kilo-pound of force per square inch) at 0 temper – annealed, followed by the H14 temper which is partially annealed and strain hardened.

2. 5052. 5052 is a close second. At the annealed temper, it has an elongation of 20% and the difference between yield and tensile strength of 21.5 Ksi. It is the highest strength alloy of the more common non-heat treatable grades. It has excellent corrosion behavior and in the annealed condition has better formability than 3003 or even 1100 alloys, with 21.5 Ksi of difference between yield and tensile strength and up to 20% of elongation.

3. 6061. This is one of the most versatile of the heat treatable family of alloys. In the annealed condition, it can be used for bending since the difference between yield and tensile strength is 10 Ksi and elongation is up to 18%. When moving up to T4 and T6 tempers, however, bending ability tends to decrease. Bending these temered alloys is not impossible, but requires great caution and probably larger bending radii to avoid cracking.

7005 and 2024 alloys are not recommended for bending, since they are both alloys with great strength and forming capabilities which are very limited even in annealed condition.

Ur pic gives me the idea.....cut pvc pipe into the width u want..cut slit , heat gun, form the bends, same thing u got but not metal....drill a bunch of speed holes in the pipe before cutting and it would be super light

If u got the flat bar from a local hardware store it's gonna be a lower grade aluminum and it will probably be alright as long as u don't make the strap bend too tight of a radius

I used a piece of aluminum like that, but to make a hook attached to the bow that works with a HYS style strap (like others have done with kydex). Love it, and it was super easy and cheap to make.

I used a piece of aluminum like that, but to make a hook attached to the bow that works with a HYS style strap (like others have done with kydex). Love it, and it was super easy and cheap to make.
Thank you .that way I can hang it on any branch and pee

Such a good idea! I'm going to use this idea to make some hangers for my HYS strap. I've seen the plastic 3d printed stuff on etsy but I just don't trust them for anything with weight. The Hero clip idea is good, but this is better. I'm making a big honkin' hook for my bow this weekend. Thanks for posting the idea!!!

I hung 20 feet up all season from this same flimsy aluminum....it's all in how you use it.as a hook or a bar alone it would obviously bend,but as a block slash bar it won't crush.i tested these ghost buckles to a 1000 pounds.and made them at my house.its safe to say.....nobody does this like I doScreenshot_20220412-105615_Gallery.jpg

Back