• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

lightest gambrel system

Newhunter1

SH Member
Looking for a gambrel system similar to the pack and pull but with a gambrel/spreader. Something that can fit in my pack and I can use it to break the deer down or simply assist with gutting.

If you SRT our rappel, you already have the pulley, just need something to attach to the deer's neck.

Just need to elevate the head, don't need a spreader unless you need help getting the heart and lungs out. Gravity will keep the fear legs apart. The guys roll out nicely this way

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B006NVOYQQ?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details&th=1

Get yourself two of these (the double). That's the core of a 4:1 system I think @mtsrunner came up with. I riffed on his a bit, but credit to him for the idea.

The rest of mine is stuff I already have anyway as my pull up rope. Two 5 Kn rated Rock Ex accessory biners, and 550 cord will hold a deer. You can use dynaglide also, if you're a fan of the stuff. It's a little too thin for my liking as a pull up rope.

You can get fancier with terminations too, but you really don't need to.

You can also use a stick as a leg spreader, but you don't really need to. You can tie into one achilles and be done with it.

The lightest gambrel is one you don't carry. Cut a stick, use your carabiners as pulleys, you're only lifting it 10' or so.

You ever had an animal roll into a ditch and only yourself to get it up and out?
Nope but it wouldnt change anything for me. I would field quarter it in the ditch if I had too. I know some folks are required to bring the carcass out but we arent. Not messing with the inards and dont need to hang it to take it apart.

Nope but it wouldnt change anything for me. I would field quarter it in the ditch if I had too. I know some folks are required to bring the carcass out but we arent. Not messing with the inards and dont need to hang it to take it apart.
You're being obtuse. You might need a snack...sure there's no need to hang an animal for breaking down, but there are plenty of situations where needing to move something comes up. Nice chattin with you though!

You're being obtuse. You might need a snack...sure there's no need to hang an animal for breaking down, but there are plenty of situations where needing to move something comes up. Nice chattin with you though!
Not my intent at all. I have never understood why folks hang a deer to gut it. I have done it several times myself and then wondered why I bothered to hang the durned thing when it is just as easy if not easier (for me) to gut it on the ground. When I learned about the gutless method I all but stopped gutting them. Only real reason to open one up now would be late season doe's to back date the fetus if they were bred. It would make absolute sense if I had a walk in cooler to age a deer in or if it was cold enough to hang one outside for a few days. We seldom have long enough periods of cold enough weather to hang one outside and I dont have a functioning walk in cooler.

Not my intent at all. I have never understood why folks hang a deer to gut it. I have done it several times myself and then wondered why I bothered to hang the durned thing when it is just as easy if not easier (for me) to gut it on the ground. When I learned about the gutless method I all but stopped gutting them. Only real reason to open one up now would be late season doe's to back date the fetus if they were bred. It would make absolute sense if I had a walk in cooler to age a deer in or if it was cold enough to hang one outside for a few days. We seldom have long enough periods of cold enough weather to hang one outside and I dont have a functioning walk in cooler.
Well in Illinois we cannot quarter. It has to be taken out whole.
As far as hoisting a deer up...I have several issues with my body. Ten years infantry in the Marines and Army...25 years in Judo, hapkido and Tae Kwon Do. The first two martial arts I was the throwing dummy for the class...literally was being thrown for the first 20 years...rose through the ranks teaching the classes and having new and intermediate students throw me. One day, I got complacent and a black belt through me down hard and I did not fall correctly. Tore my shoulder muscles up...had to have shoulder surgery one year and the next one the other one done. Then my right knee I injured it and tore it up and had to have ACL replacement surgery. I'm no longer teaching Martial arts due to the injuries and just life in general...but my time in the Marines also tore up my back.

It really hurts me to bend over and gut a deer...back really kills me for days afterwards. So, I hoist the back end of the deer up to start the gutting process...then raise it till the guts fall out. I didnt think it would make a difference but in early november I killed a mid sized deer. I used my truck hoist to gut it while at waist level. It was night and day difference between my back hurting for days afterwards to zero pain at all.

So with that said...I'm looking for the lightest game hoist available. For not...I'll just use my ropes and my climbing system to get the deer higher for me.

I made these 4:1 rope blocks to be my ultimate deep public land gambrels. Easy to do, they are very small and pretty light. I keep them and paracord in my bag if I'm hunting deep in public. I'd be darned if I'm dragging a deer a mile or more through the mountains. I'm hanging and butchering it, putting the meat in my pack and walking out.

Anyhow I agree with use a stick as a leg spreader, keeps weight down in your pack. To make them simply buy some flat bar, beat it into the necessary shape with a hammer, drill a couple holes. Buy 2 grade 5 or 8 1/4" bolts and 4 of the rollers from the patio door section of your home improvement store. Those rollers are perfectly sized for paracord and are ball bearings.

Attachments

• 20231111_174021.jpg
    20231111_174021.jpg
    792.4 KB · Views: 24
Well in Illinois we cannot quarter. It has to be taken out whole.
As far as hoisting a deer up...I have several issues with my body. Ten years infantry in the Marines and Army...25 years in Judo, hapkido and Tae Kwon Do. The first two martial arts I was the throwing dummy for the class...literally was being thrown for the first 20 years...rose through the ranks teaching the classes and having new and intermediate students throw me. One day, I got complacent and a black belt through me down hard and I did not fall correctly. Tore my shoulder muscles up...had to have shoulder surgery one year and the next one the other one done. Then my right knee I injured it and tore it up and had to have ACL replacement surgery. I'm no longer teaching Martial arts due to the injuries and just life in general...but my time in the Marines also tore up my back.

It really hurts me to bend over and gut a deer...back really kills me for days afterwards. So, I hoist the back end of the deer up to start the gutting process...then raise it till the guts fall out. I didnt think it would make a difference but in early november I killed a mid sized deer. I used my truck hoist to gut it while at waist level. It was night and day difference between my back hurting for days afterwards to zero pain at all.

So with that said...I'm looking for the lightest game hoist available. For not...I'll just use my ropes and my climbing system to get the deer higher for me.
Makes perfect sense why you would need to get them elevated. One of the dumbest rules in game regulations is to not allow an animal to be broken down for removal, specifically deer. Though it sounds like you would still need to elevate them even if you were allowed to field quarter and pack them out. Guess maybe I should have clarified wondering why able bodied folks would want to hang them to gut them. Thank you for your service!!

You can sit on a floor in a kimono and eat your dinner if you want. I'll take a table and chairs, thanks. If I'm in a hurry I'll quarter one up on the ground. I'm always in a hurry to the point I realized what am I hurrying my life away for. If I have an extra 15 or 20 minutes to hang it where it dies, viva la vida.

"lightest" may mean just using your climbing gear. I use CT roll'n'locks as my mechanical positioned on my tether and lineman belt (or tether and foot tether when 2TC), part because they are rated for 8mm rope, and part because they can double as a pulley system if needed. Full disclosure: I haven't needed them as pulleys, but that was by thought process when buying them a few years ago vs a duck or a ropeman. If you're using a mechanical positioning device, might as well use one that can pull double duty instead of carrying some additional pulleys. Heck, a pair of ropemans or Kong ducks would work somewhat too, they just don't have the convert to a pulley feature the roll'n'locks do for letting it back down.

You could always use a climbing stick as a gambrel or leg spreader of sorts as well.

Some peeps got bad backs and working on the ground is painful

Back