• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Lightest/Sharpest Screw in Steps?

jbogg

I use the LW Hand climber with my JX 3 but wanting to add a step on either side of the tree once I get to Hunting height to allow more foot positions. I tried using two Bullman steps with a strap but no matter how tight I made the strap the steps will still twist when I rest my feet on them. It doesn’t take much side pressure for them to move a little and then my boot will slip off the step. Hoping to find a Lightweight screw in step that is super sharp and screws in easily, but large enough so a couple of size 14s won’t easily slide off when sitting. What are you guys using?

Personally, I prefer the Cranford EZClimb Deluxe.
But either way, Cranford are the best screw-in step I've ever used.
to each their own Cranford! But, I believe the t steps are lighter(though the weight isnt listed on their site for them, deluxe are listed at 5.7oz) and they fold more compact....

to each their own Cranford! But, I believe the t steps are lighter(though the weight isnt listed on their site for them, deluxe are listed at 5.7oz) and they fold more compact....
I like the ezclimb's better too. The T's just don't have much surface area.

I like the ezclimb's better too. The T's just don't have much surface area.
I have narrow feet :) I also think a stiff vibram soled heavy weight hiking boot has been my frined on screw in steps. Couldnt do it in my lacross burlies.

Thanks for the responses. I will definitely check out the Cranfords. This is the last piece I will need to complete my setup, so looking forward to getting it squared away soon.

The Cranfords are my preferred climbing method for my saddle or lockons.I like the originals for my mobile hunting.Wore out the threads on a few of them over the years.Originals are a little smaller than the deluxe.

Yup, cranford for me, I've tried them all. The taper and precision/sharpness of the screw and the quality of the steel.

The Cranfords are my preferred climbing method for my saddle or lockons.I like the originals for my mobile hunting.Wore out the threads on a few of them over the years.Originals are a little smaller than the deluxe.

I noticed there are several different Cranford options. I won’t be using these for climbing, strictly as Footrests. One of the cool things about the JX 3 is your knees aren’t squeezed together like a traditional saddle so they naturally want to straddle the tree. Do the solid one piece steps have more foot room than the foldable steps?

I noticed there are several different Cranford options. I won’t be using these for climbing, strictly as Footrests. One of the cool things about the JX 3 is your knees aren’t squeezed together like a traditional saddle so they naturally want to straddle the tree. Do the solid one piece steps have more foot room than the foldable steps?
I just have one type, folders so I got nothing to compare,,, ☹️

I just ordered a couple of the ezy Deluxe. Lancaster Archery sells them individually.

Back