• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Limb driven or cable driven rest?

Thetrueredneck

SH Member
I got back into compound bow exclusively this year after a few of crossbow. I did not spend a ton on my bow’s accessories as I wasn’t sure my shoulder could handle the practice routine I would put it through ( shooting everyday ). That all being said, I was removing my bow from my truck last week after a hunt and dropped it on the driveway and let’s just say I am in the market now for some new rest and sight. I currently have a WB but I’m really thinking I want to go with a drop away but not sure what I would go with. Any thoughts or advice is appreciated thank you in advance!

Had a QAD lock up on me during a hunt, so I went to a whisker biscuit, Could never get the arrow tuned perfectly so went through a season at 90% tuned. Last year put on a Hamskea and was super easy to get bullet holes. I will say it took a couple target days to get used to the limb driven rest movement, but never had an issue during season.

I have tried both and have QAD and Hamskea rests.

I will say this. The third and often overlooked option is the whisker biscuit. Set it and forget it.

I have a WB now and I know I am being very picky but I had quite the discussion with my son in law about them and his point that got me was, how can you be “ Robin Hood Accurate “ if you have contact on your arrow after it releases? I have used a biscuit almost my whole life bow hunting and never thought about it. I guess I just want to try something different and eliminate that excuse from myself.

I have a WB now and I know I am being very picky but I had quite the discussion with my son in law about them and his point that got me was, how can you be “ Robin Hood Accurate “ if you have contact on your arrow after it releases? I have used a biscuit almost my whole life bow hunting and never thought about it. I guess I just want to try something different and eliminate that excuse from myself.
Six in one, half dozen in the other. Are you shooting target competitions or do you want a bomb proof setup to avoid what you described in your first post? I bet many forum members have killed many animals w WBs and continue to do so annually.

My ultimate bomb proof setup is an EZV site with a WB.

The WB vs drop away debate has been going for as long as I can remember. At least ten years. Maybe to prove to yourself, you can go shoot both and chrono both and see what you get.

Cable driven rests can be really good, or they can be finicky and hard to time in. Limb driven rests are simple. Up/down. I've owned a Hamskea, have a Limb Driver on my Insanity and an AAE Pro Drop on my Reign. I tie into the cable to reduce rope length, vibration, and the opportunity for it to hang or catch on something while in the woods. Hopefully the pics will show how I tie in.
ad51a3086193e160fb200f100d12dca7.jpg
db58a4394044b54ceffe6297f02599e4.jpg

Limb driven all the way. Hamske Epsilon or Primer. Vaportail Limbdriver is great too. I use a prussic instead it works great and I take the tension off when storing or not shooting. A quick slide back down and it sets the rest again when I want to start shooting again.

I have a lot of time with whiskers, QAD, and hamskea. I have settled on a QAD on my main bow and whisker on my back up. I’m sorry but Hamskea is just a loud rest. Logically I know deer hear the arrow and not the bow but I just couldn’t get past the hamskea slap.

I use an HHA Virtus limb driven and luv it. It’s been on three different bows and is super easy to set up. It’s been in heat, snow, rain, mud no issues. They’re a great company to work with and customer service is awesome.

I traded for a Hamskea. I was a little reluctant at first. My only complaint is the arrow moves to much at rest and takes a second to "snug" up on draw. But super simple to tune. My bow has a small hole on the end of the limb plate to tie it to.

I've had 2 rests fail on me. 1) QAD ultra rest. Kept falling at the first sight on of tension at draw. I thought it was a rest timing issue, took it in twice for the "experts" to set it, sent it to QAD...faulty.

2) Ripcord Red. The internal spring completely came undone during a 3D shoot. Ugh.

As mentioned, hands down the most reliable and foolproof is a whisker biscuit. I don't use one because I shoot a very heavy helical.

So the solution is limb driven. I have used Trophy Taker (Smackdown pro), AAE Nockon (Elevate) and Hamskea (Hybrid hunter, Epsilon).
All of these are great rests. Easy to set, tune and never failed me through thousands of arrows.

Hope this helps.

Six in one, half dozen in the other. Are you shooting target competitions or do you want a bomb proof setup to avoid what you described in your first post? I bet many forum members have killed many animals w WBs and continue to do so annually.

My ultimate bomb proof setup is an EZV site with a WB.

The WB vs drop away debate has been going for as long as I can remember. At least ten years. Maybe to prove to yourself, you can go shoot both and chrono both and see what you get.

It's not the loss of speed that's the issue. WB is more sensitive to issues like torque, as the arrow is in contact with the rest until it clears the rest completely.

I switched to a limb driven rest (Vapor Trail Limb Driver) from a WB and have been very happy with the results.

Back