• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Limb size

lpv77

What's the minimum limb size you would use to just hold the rope at height on a trunk cinch for SRT? I have one now in the tree I'm hunting that's 1". Think that's fine to keep the rope from rolling down the trunk?

If you're girth hitched around the trunk and the branch is only holding the rope from sliding down, I would say you're fine. If you're not comfortable with the branch and it's legal, you can always put a screw in step or a screw eye into the tree. run your rope over or through, depending on what you use, to add support for the rope.

To just hold the rope? Anything that will allow me to get the rope up there. If I'm hitched to the tree the trunk is being used to climb.

For SRT if you anchor one end of the line to the base of tree then the force at the TIP will be 200% bodyweight. If you send up a running bowline around an isolated crotch and SRT off of that...the TIP will be loaded 100% body weight. With one leg of the rope anchored to the tree, the leg of rope you ascend on will take 100% of your weight. In order to counter that force, the leg anchored to the base of the tree needs to "pull" against that with exactly the same force (100% body weight) Now each leg of the rope is working to support 100% bodyweight so they are added at the TIP where to two forces meet to equal 200%. So choose your branches wisely. I use branches 6 inches or thicker on a good healthy tree, Because if you weight 225lbs and toss your rope over a branch and do a basal anchor, the force at the branch will be 450lbs.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

For SRT if you anchor one end of the line to the base of tree then the force at the TIP will be 200% bodyweight. If you send up a running bowline around an isolated crotch and SRT off of that...the TIP will be loaded 100% body weight. With one leg of the rope anchored to the tree, the leg of rope you ascend on will take 100% of your weight. In order to counter that force, the leg anchored to the base of the tree needs to "pull" against that with exactly the same force (100% body weight) Now each leg of the rope is working to support 100% bodyweight so they are added at the TIP where to two forces meet to equal 200%. So choose your branches wisely. I use branches 6 inches or thicker on a good healthy tree, Because if you weight 225lbs and toss your rope over a branch and do a basal anchor, the force at the branch will be 450lbs.

Thank you. I'm just looking to trunk cinch a TIP at around 30'. I wasn't sure if the 1" limb would be enough to run my Paracord over and than effectively keep the TIP from rolling down the trunk.

Thank you. I'm just looking to trunk cinch a TIP at around 30'. I wasn't sure if the 1" limb would be enough to run my Paracord over and than effectively keep the TIP from rolling down the trunk.
Problem is if the limb breaks due to the weight you'll freefall to the ground, If theres no other limbs to catch onto. Definitely go to a thicker limb.

Problem is if the limb breaks due to the weight you'll freefall to the ground, If theres no other limbs to catch onto. Definitely go to a thicker limb.

The limb isn't holding the rope up though. It is just a placeholder to get the climbing rope in the tree.

The tether from rolling down?

I'm not sure I follow you. When I have my rope that I use for SRT or rappelling, I just cinch it to the tree around the trunk. If I am using SRT I need some sort of branch to pull it up there, but that branch is only a placeholder to pull the rope up. Once I put any weight on the rope the trunk is holding the rope and all the weight, not the branch. If I am only rappeling, I will just cinch the rope around the trunk of the tree and rappel down. If I take weight off the rope it will slide down (mostly due to the weight of my delta link), but it will not slide down while it is tight. If I am just hanging on my tether I just girth hitch the rope around the tree and I don't put it above a branch.

I'm not sure I follow you. When I have my rope that I use for SRT or rappelling, I just cinch it to the tree around the trunk. If I am using SRT I need some sort of branch to pull it up there, but that branch is only a placeholder to pull the rope up. Once I put any weight on the rope the trunk is holding the rope and all the weight, not the branch. If I am only rappeling, I will just cinch the rope around the trunk of the tree and rappel down. If I take weight off the rope it will slide down (mostly due to the weight of my delta link), but it will not slide down while it is tight. If I am just hanging on my tether I just girth hitch the rope around the tree and I don't put it above a branch.
Ohhh i see what you mean now! I thought he was asking to throw a rope up over a limb and tie it off at the base of the tree!

Ohhh i see what you mean now! I thought he was asking to throw a rope up over a limb and tie it off at the base of the tree!
Ok now we are on the same page!

Yes, in that situation, you want to find a healthy branch a minimum of 6 inches!

Back