• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Lineman’s belt stiffness?

DannyAttacksTheMountain

Just curious what anyone’s thoughts/recommendations are on a stiffer lineman’s belt. I’ve been using the lineman’s belt that came with my Kestrel for two seasons now. It works great but I’m considering switching to a stiffer lineman’s belt that could/would be easier to flip up the tree. Only concern I have is that I wouldn’t be able to role it up tight enough to fit into my dump pouch. Maybe just carry it a different way? Or is it even worth switching to?
Thanks all,
DATM

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Got some 11mm rope from rei it was sold by the foot and was red and white , I dye it black . That stuff is stiff and works perfect for a lineman's belt.

Got some 11mm rope from rei it was sold by the foot and was red and white , I dye it black . That stuff is stiff and works perfect for a lineman's belt.

Excellent. Thank you. Do you have any issues rolling and packing it? Or how do you carry it in?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i use sterling 9mm htp. it is fairly stiff, and i daisy chain it up and clip it to my linesman loop when i move around. i really like it as a linesman belt. if you use a ropeman 1 and want to stay in spec, they also make a 10mm version of the htp. i bought mine from eastern woods outdoors. i highly recommend that place for your rope purchases.

i use sterling 9mm htp. it is fairly stiff, and i daisy chain it up and clip it to my linesman loop when i move around. i really like it as a linesman belt. if you use a ropeman 1 and want to stay in spec, they also make a 10mm version of the htp. i bought mine from eastern woods outdoors. i highly recommend that place for your rope purchases.

The HTP is the perfect rope for a linemans belt. I however did not like it at all using it as my rappel rope with a schwabisch friction hitch.

I have the same rope and I dyed it dark brown but it came out very very dark maroon and I was happy with it. I LOVE how stiff it is because I use spurs and I literally climb the tree by just holding the rope on each side and flip step flip step flip step etc all the way up the tree without even touching the tree.

For storage I put it over my shoulder and clip to my lineman loop or sometimes I wrap it around my waste like a belt.

I like it when I’m climbing but I wish I could store it better. I might try the Tethrd LB and see which I like better.

During the climb though it is really nice to have a stiff belt that is less likely to dip or drop on you.

Back