• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Lineman’s Belt

TexaninSconny

Im currently using the 11mm lineman’s belt from Tethrd. Feels very bulky though. I do like utilizing a Ropeman 1 for my lineman’s. To stay in spec I’d need to use a 10mm rope at minimum. Is that going to feel like much difference from a bulkiness perspective?

If so, do any of you have a recommendation for a 10mm rope? Is creating a spliced eye myself very challenging?

For those of you that use a rope that is smaller than 10mm diameter what do you prefer for adjustment? Just a prusik? What style of rope do you prefer in a smaller diameter that is fairly firm?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't think 1mm difference is going to be noticable. Spliced eye difficulty has everything to do with the rope being used. I tried and failed to get a spliced eye on the Predator rope I use. Finally DIYed sewn eyes all around. Was told by several people that DIY sewn eyes weren't good enough but mine are not going anywhere. Used a round stitch technique, went a good length with it, went over it with whipping twine, and then heat shrink over that. Solid!

used 11mm rope for years, then switched to oplux for a lineman's belt and couldn't wait to go back to 11. 8mm is too supple for a LB imo.
Here is another of the same opinion. I haven't tried 9-10mm so that might be a good compromise, but 8mm is no good for me. I have decided the bulk is no big deal to be. The feel or grip of the lineman or tether for that matter is what matters to me.

Last year I used an oplux 8mm with the kong duck. I like the adjustment with the kong. But I picked up some 11mm tethers a while ago and started to mess around with it. I think I like it more. I like the oplux for lineman's belt with the kong. But I think I will be using the 11mm with a prussics this fall while hunting.
More based on not wanting to be hooked into the Kong when hanging. I could use a prussics on the oplux. But I like the higher rating for one sticking of the 11mm.

Good feedback, gents. I’ll dig deep and deal with that 11mm fatty. ;)

Im currently using the 11mm lineman’s belt from Tethrd. Feels very bulky though. I do like utilizing a Ropeman 1 for my lineman’s. To stay in spec I’d need to use a 10mm rope at minimum. Is that going to feel like much difference from a bulkiness perspective?

If so, do any of you have a recommendation for a 10mm rope? Is creating a spliced eye myself very challenging?

For those of you that use a rope that is smaller than 10mm diameter what do you prefer for adjustment? Just a prusik? What style of rope do you prefer in a smaller diameter that is fairly firm?

This is what I use:

Deep Woods by All Gear Link It is 11mm

Making the splice is not that hard if you have the right tools.

This is how you make the splice:

I whiplocked the splice and whipped the tails. Locking the splice is necessary, but whipping the ends is not.

Depends on the rope manufacturer. Some manufacturers rate their rope size at rest, and some rate it at 10% of the breaking strength. Companies that rate it at rest will be smaller. I have some 11 mm deep woods and I have 10 mm pro tac and the protac is noticeably smaller, lighter, stronger and stiffer than the 11mm. It packs down pretty small. Not oplux small but not much bigger.

Hey guys, if yins are looking for some rope the link that @cjr4497 Put will take you to a great place to get stuff.
They have really good prices, sell rope by the foot, and will splice eyes for us... :smiley:

I went back to my webbing lineman's belt after using the cheaper (10-11 mm) rope that Wild Edge offers for a couple of seasons. The webbing doesn't take up much space rolled up and adjusts easily. I'm using different carabineers then what came with it and it's girth hitched to one side of my saddle. Worth a look and if you don't like it, it's pretty cheap.

I use an 8mm lineman belt with a 6mm prusik, along with a prusik tender. No need for any mechanical devices.

For my lineman’s I use 6mm TRC with 1/8” Amstel friction hitches.

If you want small diameter, I've been using the 5/16" (8mm) Samson Ultra-Tech with a Distel Hitch for my linesman for a couple of seasons. The Ultra-Tech is a pretty stiff rope and spliceable (although not easily). The 9mm HTP mentioned by @St.CroixArcher also makes a great linesman, and can be made to work with a Ropeman (PM me for info on this).

For my lineman’s I use 6mm TRC with 1/8” Amstel friction hitches.

I've been thinking on trying this, I'm guessing since you're posting about it everything works as it should? Should be able to splice eyes directly into the amsteel and make everything nice, neat, and compact for a michoacan.

I've been thinking on trying this, I'm guessing since you're posting about it everything works as it should? Should be able to splice eyes directly into the amsteel and make everything nice, neat, and compact for a michoacan.
You want locked brummels for your spliced eyes. I use a distel hitch. I can't recommend you do any of this though, it's all so out of spec. I had to redo the amstel several times to dial in the length and get it just right.

You want locked brummels for your spliced eyes. I use a distel hitch. I can't recommend you do any of this though, it's all so out of spec. I had to redo the amstel several times to dial in the length and get it just right.
Obviously this will need locked brummels and thorough testing before implementation. But in reality we are already using amsteel friction hitches on climbing rope bridges, I see no reason we can't hold the same line of thought for a linemans belt. It's not like we're talking about using an amsteel friction hitch to repel on.

Obviously this will need locked brummels and thorough testing before implementation. But in reality we are already using amsteel friction hitches on climbing rope bridges, I see no reason we can't hold the same line of thought for a linemans belt. It's not like we're talking about using an amsteel friction hitch to repel on.

Agreed, just had to say it. I personally wouldn’t use it on my tether but feel comfortable with it on my lineman belt. I used 1/8” Amsteel and had to go an extra wrap to get it to bite properly on with a distel hitch. You may have to play with number of wraps to get the bite you need/ prefer.

Back